Micrologix 1100 Series A to B

George Graziano

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can I upgrade the 1100 from an "A" to a "B"? On Rockwell Web site, I see a series B upgrade, but I think that just brings an 1100 already a "B" to a higher series.

Thanks
George

In the Rockwell Automation world, a Series change is either a major hardware change, a major functionality change, or both.

In the case of the MicroLogix 1100 controller, it's a firmware functionality change only. The original Series A hardware can be upgraded to run the Series B firmware.

MicroLogix family controller firmware upgrades don't require a TechConnect contract; just download and install the firmware you see on the website.

I just tried to upgrade. This is where I got stuck ( see attachment) my Processor is 1763-L16BWA. It won't go past this point.
Thanks
George

Firmware upgrade.png

Last edited:
Mickey,

Thanks, That helped update the firmware. I was hoping it would allow me to send email. But the SNMP is still greyed out on the Channel setup for email. Am I still missing something?

Thanks
George

SNMP is Simple Network Management Protocol, used by IT service monitoring software. I can't enable it on my MicroLogix 1100 either.

SMTP is Simple Mail Transport Protocol, which is the e-mail sending client. This should be selectable.

Remember that you need to change the Controller Type to MicroLogix 1100 Series B, and therefore you need an appropriate version of RSLogix 500.

Ken,
That is what I was looking for. SMTP, for email. I guess upgrading the firmware didn't enable this.
Thanks
George

Gosh, it certainly should have. MicroLogix 1100 Series B firmware has no hardware-dependent features, which is why you can install it on Series A controllers.

What version of RSLogix 500 are you running ? Are you sure you've changed the Controller Type to a MicroLogix 1100 Series B ?

I just went to show that I don't have that option by taking a screen print and there it was. Thanks for the help. Now I can see if I can send an email.

Thanks
George