How do I send Hex codes with a ML

PLC_Shaggy

I have a Micrologix 1200 that I would like to use to send Hexadecimal codes to a Motorola MS4404 barcode scanner.

Like for instance to set the scanner into Host Trigger mode I would have to send 8Ah 08h.

I know there are easier ways to reconfigure the scanner, but I would like to be able to do it with the plc instead of scanning a page of out of the manual.

Wait, do you have to send it actual STRINGS? As in your above example "8Ah 08h" would be 7 characters, plus a potential terminating character or two.

If it is just numbers, well, uhh, just send the numbers? There is nothing magical about hexadecimal you know.
8Ah = 138 decimal. 08h = 8 decimal.

The only tricky part is putting non-character values into Strings in RSLogix 500. Enter the hex value preceded by a backslash.

The software will take many common hex values and show them as "Control Codes". For example, \08 becomes "^H" and \0D becomes "^M".

I just enter the values in hex with a backslash, rather than trying to remember which control-code they are.

The AWT instruction sends these strings without an Append character, while the AWA includes the defined Append characters for the port.

hex_in_ML_String.png

The only tricky part is putting non-character values into Strings in RSLogix 500. Enter the hex value preceded by a backslash.

The software will take many common hex values and show them as "Control Codes". For example, \08 becomes "^H" and \0D becomes "^M".

I just enter the values in hex with a backslash, rather than trying to remember which control-code they are.

The AWT instruction sends these strings without an Append character, while the AWA includes the defined Append characters for the port.

Ah. The backslash is what I'm needing then. I'll give this a shot. Thanks.