Salvaging transformers from Modicon power supplies

OkieJohn

I have Modicon ASP 484-600 and AS-P800-003 power supplies that are used and surplus. I also have a residential central heat and air unit that has a burned up transformer (primary 120vac and secondary 24vdc 40va). Can I cannibalize anything from the Modicon power supplies that can be adapted to the CHA unit? I am not an electrician but I learn quickly. I have already learned what happens when you get the wires mixed up on a transformer. I know the correct answer it to call someone that knows what they are doing, but I can’t afford it right now and winter is approaching.

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't have a Modicon around to check, but I doubt it. Also, the Secondary of a Transformer is most definitely not 24VDC, it will be 24VAC. It is not clear to me what a CHA Unit is, but I presume from the context, that it is some kind of Heating Unit. If it is an Electronic Control Card for a Furnace or something similar, these are not user repairable units, even the factory doesn't repair them. If it is an external Transformer, you might be able to match it with something from Radio Shack. Based on you knowledge level, I would NOT recommend it. Get a professional in to look at it.

Stu....

I have Modicon ASP 484-600 and AS-P800-003 power supplies that are used and surplus. I also have a residential central heat and air unit that has a burned up transformer (primary 120vac and secondary 24vdc 40va). Can I cannibalize anything from the Modicon power supplies that can be adapted to the CHA unit? I am not an electrician but I learn quickly. I have already learned what happens when you get the wires mixed up on a transformer. I know the correct answer it to call someone that knows what they are doing, but I can’t afford it right now and winter is approaching.

I understand low income and all that. However with winter coming you do not have time to fool around scavenging. Go see a HVAC distributor with NAME PLATE info off heater unit AND the old transformer. Should not cost too much 25 to 50 maybe?

IF you can read all nameplate info on transformer volts amps etc THEN Grainger may be a good option. I would also consider going one size larger on the transformer.

The LAST thing you need is the jury rig breaking in freezing weather Sunday night at 8pm. This is one of those times where spend the money and time get the right stuff and be DONE with it.

Dan Bentler

just somthing to think about, what made the transformer fail in the first place?

Stu, CHA= central heat and air unit

Thanks for everyones input. It looks like I will have to do it the correct way this time. CHA is the older term frequently used by non-HVAC people. Last time I said HVAC I had to define it. I fried the old transformer by hooking the wires up wrong after testing it. (Pretty smoke) I went back and looked at the transformer and it was AC.

Thanks for everyones input. It looks like I will have to do it the correct way this time. CHA is the older term frequently used by non-HVAC people. Last time I said HVAC I had to define it. I fried the old transformer by hooking the wires up wrong after testing it. (Pretty smoke) I went back and looked at the transformer and it was AC.

Well, if you ever find a DC Transformer, let us know. If you can produce it, I will personally contact the Nobel Prize Board.:ROFLMAO:

Stu....

If most are "AC" what are the others?:confused:
As they say at Disney my answer is on the Mouse:ROFLMAO:.

There is DC power supplies used in HVAC control and we have them here where I work, which is for building automation. They are used for Analog sensors, analog feedback and conrol to and from VFD's.

Well, if you ever find a DC Transformer, let us know. If you can produce it, I will personally contact the Nobel Prize Board.:ROFLMAO: Stu....

Could it not be argued the automotive ignition coil is DC??
It is a transformer with two windings, 12 volt DC on low side and 50,000 VDC on hi side. Granted there are a couple switches involved.

Dan Bentler

Could it not be argued the automotive ignition coil is DC??
It is a transformer with two windings, 12 volt DC on low side and 50,000 VDC on hi side. Granted there are a couple switches involved.

Dan Bentler

Indeed one could argue that, and the same for Switching Power Supplies as well. However, we both know that the Switching is being used to chop the DC into a form of AC to make it work.

Stu....

🍻