Configuring Controllogix 1756-ENBT/A for Unicasting

njf11

Hello Everyone,

I am working with an Allen Bradley Controllogix PLC and I have the following problem. This PLC is connected to a switch that also has two Cutler-Hammer HMIs on it, as well as a wireless ethernet radio link. The PLC is communicating just fine with everything on the network. However, there is a lot of multicast traffic coming from the ENBT/A card in the backplane of the PLC. This traffic floods the network which causes the wireless radio link to drop communications. I called Rockwell and they suggested configuring my ethernet card for unicasting. I have updated the firmware of the controller to version 18.11 and the ENBT/A to revision 6.1. I cannot figure out how to configure the ENBT/A to do unicasting. I looked under the properties of the card and nothing shows up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Selection of a Unicast connection will be in the Connection Tab of the I/O tree entry for the Adapter device, not the scanner. Most Rockwell Automation devices support Unicast connections, but some don't (notably the PowerFlex 40 interface).

Ideally, you should have a managed Ethernet switch (at least at the location that's connected to the radio) that will filter the Multicast and broadcast traffic using IGMP Snooping and prevent it from getting to the radio port at all.

🤷
As a side note, PowerFlex 40 comm. card (22-COMM-E) does support Unicast, as of firmware version 1.008. It is upgradable in the field.
RSLogix5000 Drives Add-on Profile needs to be upgraded to version 3.02.

- fuzzy logic