PLC 5/25 with PLC5/60 as Backup?

PIPHVAC

Hello,

I have a redundant system in which there are 2 x PLC 5/25E's configured with each other and both share the same RIO rack.

However one of the PLC 5/25E processors faulted and somebody has replaced it with a PLC 5/60 (un-programmed).

Is it simply a case of uploading the program from the master plc 5/25e, editing it to use the PLC 5/60 processor, then downloading it to the PLC 5/60 module?

Regards,

John

Last edited:
I have a redundant system in which there are 2 x PLC 5/25E's configured with each other
You had?
somebody has replaced it with a PLC 5/60 (un-programmed).
Who did this and why did they leave it that way?
Is it simply a case of uploading the program from the master plc 5/25e
Have you done this part if so can you post the file? If not do you have the software to do so? Do you have any documentation and/or a copy of the original program and configuration?
editing it to use the PLC 5/60 processor
Have you up-loaded from the processor and can you post that file?
However one of the PLC 5/25E processors faulted
What was the fault?

Do you have a list of rev#s, part#s and can you post them?
Best regards, Steve

I don't think there was a requirement for both PLCs to be the same model or even the same generation, with the old PLC-5 Hot Back up system. All the interfacing with the 1771-BCM modules was done with ordinary Block Transfers.

It certainly made sense to have both controllers be the same; you'd have the same memory footprint and execution speed and firmware functionality, and they'd appear the same to a DH+ network when you swapped between them.

It can't hurt to try.

I can confirm that it does work as ive done it before. :p Just make sure to set all the dip switches the same for the DH+ and RIO ports, as you would if you were replacing like for like.

When downloading to the PLC it will probably come up saying processor type doesnt match what is selected in RSLogix5. Just press ok and it SHOULD change it to your 5/60.