Windows startup

Manuel Raposo

Hi all,

I make sveral application with PCs comunicating with PLCs and I allways have the same problem: how to start the application without giving to the operator access to Windows tools.

Basically I whant to remove all icons from the Desktop and remove the Start button.

Does anyone know a solution for this?

Thanks

If you are using WinNT, 2k or XP you can be the administrator and set what is seen or used, you can even setup different access levels by different users...ie you actually assign what is accessed by the user.

If you talking Win9x then its impossible to prevent a skilled person from accessing what is there. You can remove desktop icons by just right clicking then delete. You can right click on the gray area of the taskbar and choose Properties then uncheck Always on top and apply that, it will still be seen but if you goto the edge of it and drag it down in size. The only access to anything then would be hotkeys or the windows key.

You can remove anything from start you dont want there, they are just shortcuts. If operators etc find a minimal listing then they probably wont look farther...in many cases ie no games no care.

There is a good way.

When windows is started the explorer is started. Instaed of starting the explorer you can start the aplication you wish to start.
You can not go to desktop. The windowskey doesn't work. All the short cut key's doesn't work anymore. Only your aplication and the windows drivers.

Make sure you make a shortcut in the application you want to start. A shortcut to the regedit from windows. Otherwise it will be more difficult to change the startup back to explorer.

Your knowledge of computers has to be more than avarage to find a way around.

We use it on citect applications. Whe don't start up explorer but the citect32.exe.

When this is what you are looking for let me know the operating system you are using and I will post the way to do it for the specific operating system.

Jurgen

What we use to do in the past before Win NT is to give the operator only function key keyboard.
all the app worked with the fun key or combinations of the fun key
With win NT and higher you set level of user and thats it.

Hi all
there is a file named MSconfig in windows 98 and windows Xp .in this file you can decide which progrms should start automatically when windows start up .
1-run this file by clicking Statr button
2-click run
3-type MSconfig in the run bar and press ok.
4-System configuration utility window will be opened.
5-Chose Start up and select which programs to be launched at startup.
Try it it may help
thx