Scanning In RSLogix 5000

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I think I have got this correct but I just want to make sure.

I have acquired a program which has quite a lot of JSR's and RETurn's in the program files.

This is what I believe happens.

If a JSR is used and there is no RETurn in the program file that was called, then the program will execute the next program file in the current task.

If a JSR is used and a RETurn is used the program will RETurn back to the program file where the JSR instruction was used and continue from the rung after the JSR.

I hope this makes sense.

Mark

This is what I believe happens.

If a JSR is used and there is no RETurn in the program file that was called, then the program will execute the next program file in the current task.

If a JSR is used and a RETurn is used the program will RETurn back to the program file where the JSR instruction was used and continue from the rung after the JSR.

this would be more correct for your first (with no RETurn) condition:

suppose that a JSR is used - and there is no RETurn in the file that was called ...

when the processor reaches the end of the "called" file, then it will go back to the point at which the JSR instruction was used - and continue on from that point.

and this for the second (with a RETurn) condition that you mentioned ...

suppose that a JSR is used - and there is a RETurn in the file that was called ...

when the processor reaches the RET in the "called" file, then it will go back to the point at which the JSR instruction was used - and continue on from that point.

in simplest terms, the RET doesn't change the point to which the processor returns ... instead it only affects whether the processor will "depart" from the called routine "early" – in other words, before it reaches the bitter end of the called routine ...

Last edited:
Hi,

Mark

There is an "Implied" return at the end of every subroutine. Therefore, unless it sees a RET statement earlier in the subroutine, it will simply process the entire subroutine and then return to the point of call.

The RET statements are generally used to end a routine pre-maturely. Not matter what, you always return to the point of call (unless of course you dig down too deeply into nested calls).

Thanks for the replies.

It all makes sense now.

The program is using the RETurn function to go back if a condition is not met, so as not to carry on the sequence un-necessarily.

Thanks again.

Mark