Insight Display Control in Wonderware

wvos

Hello,

Im trying to implement the custom view i can make in insight explorer in my wonderware HMI system, which is ran from a normal PC.

I can install the cvsinsightdisplay in one of my windows, but im a bit stuck of what to do from there on.

I created a customview in my insight explorer application and i would like the exact same thing to show in my wonderware HMI screen.

Has anyone ever tried this and/or have advice for me on how to get this working. Maybe a guide that explains it?

Thanks,

Btw ive only got really really basic knowledge of Visual Basic, but its been a few years so yeah...

I want to assume, when you say you "installed the cvsinsightdisplay in one of your windows" that this is an ActiveX object..?

If so, results can vary depending on the object... but there are properties and methods that you can tie into scripts in InTouch. If the object is documented, this might be easier to understand what needs to happen (pass log in information for example).

Search your InTouch user guide for ActiveX (if my assumption is accurate.) Otherwise, I need more info.

I want to assume, when you say you "installed the cvsinsightdisplay in one of your windows" that this is an ActiveX object..?

If so, results can vary depending on the object... but there are properties and methods that you can tie into scripts in InTouch. If the object is documented, this might be easier to understand what needs to happen (pass log in information for example).

Search your InTouch user guide for ActiveX (if my assumption is accurate.) Otherwise, I need more info.

Yeah thats exactly what i mean, sorry for the misunderstanding :)

I was just wondering if there was a guide to it or an example program, since i have very little experience with scripting.

<On the PC where InTouch is installed>

If you navigate to:

Start/Programs/Wonderware/Books you should see a PDF documents named "InTouch Visualization Guide" and "InTouch Scripts and Logic".

Start with the Visualization Guide, on page 143. This will ensure that you properly register the ActiveX object for use inside the inTouch container.

Once complete, refer to the next guide. On page 179 is the section for ActiveX scripting. This should get you on your way. Keep in mind that whether this object will do what you want depends wholly on the ActiveX object itself.

As an example:

It is very common for operators to want to have PDF document procedures embedded in the HMI, and to achieve this you would register the ActiveX control for Adobe Reader in WindowMaker. Then you write the file location to the property of the object using a Pushbutton script.

Everytime Adobe comes out with a new version of Reader, the ActiveX object also changes... and I have seen this functionality BREAK when using a different version. Keep that in mind, as you progress, you may be able to ask the vendor (InSight) for a different version of the OCX to try... or at the very least, the documentation explaining the different methods, properties and events defined in the object.

Good luck with it... it can get frustrating if the object misbehaves.

<On the PC where InTouch is installed>

If you navigate to:

Start/Programs/Wonderware/Books you should see a PDF documents named "InTouch Visualization Guide" and "InTouch Scripts and Logic".

Start with the Visualization Guide, on page 143. This will ensure that you properly register the ActiveX object for use inside the inTouch container.

Once complete, refer to the next guide. On page 179 is the section for ActiveX scripting. This should get you on your way. Keep in mind that whether this object will do what you want depends wholly on the ActiveX object itself.

As an example:

It is very common for operators to want to have PDF document procedures embedded in the HMI, and to achieve this you would register the ActiveX control for Adobe Reader in WindowMaker. Then you write the file location to the property of the object using a Pushbutton script.

Everytime Adobe comes out with a new version of Reader, the ActiveX object also changes... and I have seen this functionality BREAK when using a different version. Keep that in mind, as you progress, you may be able to ask the vendor (InSight) for a different version of the OCX to try... or at the very least, the documentation explaining the different methods, properties and events defined in the object.

Good luck with it... it can get frustrating if the object misbehaves.

I read some of those and i think its more in-depth than i need to go. As soon as you load the CVS display control wizard it gets default properties that should work just fine for me. I gues there is an IP adress i should put into one of those properties, but as i open the help guide its a blank page =/

Ive also got a webcam working like this and it only needs the URL and thats it, the rest works with the defaults.

I want the same thing for the camera basically, i know there are scripts to get some interesting functions rolling for the camera, but all i need is just the picture the camera last made.

Cool... it seems like you have the ActiveX skills with Wonderware that you need. The only thing i can offer from here is call support for the Camera and see if they can dig up some information on the ActiveX object. Sometimes, if you mess around enough, you will find the method you need. When all else fails, try using a newer, or older, ActiveX from a different version of their software.

Cool... it seems like you have the ActiveX skills with Wonderware that you need. The only thing i can offer from here is call support for the Camera and see if they can dig up some information on the ActiveX object. Sometimes, if you mess around enough, you will find the method you need. When all else fails, try using a newer, or older, ActiveX from a different version of their software.

Yeah i have basically tried everything in the book now and nothing will work. Tried using active x all the way down to 8. Had an expert here...

I think ill just use the Insight Explorer software to write a string to my Step 7 program, which then on its behalf writes that info to my Wonderware Scada app.

Try adding an Internet Explorer activex and set your camera's url to the Navigate property.

For example, using the window's "on show" script, add:
#Explorer1.Navigate("your url");

You can also hide the IE's title bar, menu, etc.

Try adding an Internet Explorer activex and set your camera's url to the Navigate property.

For example, using the window's "on show" script, add:
#Explorer1.Navigate("your url");

You can also hide the IE's title bar, menu, etc.

Yeah i came up with that aswell but the client wont agree to it, since that kicks him out of his SCADA app.

Yeah i came up with that aswell but the client wont agree to it, since that kicks him out of his SCADA app.

What do you mean by kicks? The internet explorer activex is imbedded in an Intouch screen just like the camera's activex.

What do you mean by kicks? The internet explorer activex is imbedded in an Intouch screen just like the camera's activex.

Ohh really? I thought u meant opening an external link.

Now you mentioned this, i have a webcam working that way aswell. It works on the computer i have located in the lab but not on the one i have in my office for some reason ( they're both exactly the same ). It also imbeds IE in an intouch activeX screen.

Do you know how i could show the Vision camera on an URL tho?

I figure you understand what activex is now so that's why I said "Try adding an Internet Explorer activex", not open an external link.
If I were you I would just look at the other app and see how it's done.
Also, there's a tech note somewhere at Wondeerware that shows you how to imbed the ie activex.

I figure you understand what activex is now so that's why I said "Try adding an Internet Explorer activex", not open an external link.
If I were you I would just look at the other app and see how it's done.
Also, there's a tech note somewhere at Wondeerware that shows you how to imbed the ie activex.

Yeah im sorry about that ;) And i know how its done in the other one. It just has a Camimage Class that loads an URL. The issue is, how do i display the Vision Camera on an URL?