Reliance automax

drouse

I have an automax plc that the backup files are on casette tape anyone know how I can convert them to aformat that can be user on a laptop.

I read somewhere that you can record the cassette type files as a .wav file, You would use the input to a sound card (mic input or line input) and the Sound Recorder program on most computers. I dont know this for a fact, never tried it myself. The length of recording time might be a problem.

Last edited:
What type of tape is it?
Tape backups are notoriously unreliable. If you haven't used the tape ever, as it was supplied with the original machinery, you probably have some corrupted files. Depending on age of course.

Before you can even test the files, you'll have to find a tape drive for your specific type of tape. They work and look like an external hard drive or CD drive. You'll also most likely need an external SCSI controller for the tape drive, or an old computer with a SCSI controller card. Depending on the type you can find. Some newer tape drives can use anything from FireWire to SATA connections.

Hi Okie,

Not at this time. The P&I has a date of 1995 and it has 10 pages. I'm guessing that it is not a small system. It does chemical / solution make up control on a coil processing line. I see the usual compliment of level, flow, pressure & temperature monitoring and plenty of pump / heating controls.
The chemical supplier was contacted by a customer for an update proposal. They happen to be involved with one of my clients and so we have been talking a bit about options.
Right now, we are working to establish I/O count and degree of complexity required. Obviously, it is one thing to control solution temp and concentration, etc. and quite another to control the line movement.

Best Regards,

Bob A.

I may have a contact with version 4.3 (or was it 3.4? The last version and first to support Windows 2000 I last used in 2005).
I can ask over the holidays.