Micrologix Display Binary File as Other Type

Dua Anjing

Is there a way using Micrologix 1100 that I can display Binary File as say Decimal ?
Eg. B3:10 would normally display as 0000 0000 0000 0011 is there a that I can display this as 3 (decimal) or 0003 (Hex) in the Programming software. It's not essential but it would make the logic a bit easier to follow. I seem to remember being able to do it with the PLC5's but that may have been the old DOS programming package.

Thanks for your time

Thanks for the quick reply Bernie, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I meant in the Ladder Display. I have a case where a B19:0 contains a pointer, the rest of the B19 file is OK to display in Binary but I would like to display ONLY B19:0 as decimal when it is used in an EQU instruction. In the attached jpg it shows an INT but I would like to use B19:0 in this case .If I use B19:0 it shows in the EQU as Binary. I am temporarily moviing B19:0 into an INT just to make it easier to view.

Capture.JPG

I think that's just the behavior of RSLogix500. I don't think you will be able to change one display reference style. I think it';s only reasonable that it assumes that if you use a Binary file the bit pattern is the more important aspect you wish to view.

Thanks for the quick reply Bernie, I guess I didn't explain myself properly. I meant in the Ladder Display. I have a case where a B19:0 contains a pointer, the rest of the B19 file is OK to display in Binary but I would like to display ONLY B19:0 as decimal when it is used in an EQU instruction. In the attached jpg it shows an INT but I would like to use B19:0 in this case .If I use B19:0 it shows in the EQU as Binary. I am temporarily moviing B19:0 into an INT just to make it easier to view.

I'm confused by the "why".

Checking to see if B19:0 is 0 is as simple as just using a B19:0 XIO. What am I missing?

The binary file word element in his case is being used as a full 16 bit word. He would like it displayed in the instruction as a decimal number instead as a binary representation of the 16 bits. The logic is using the complete word. I'm sure there is a good reason why a 'B' file word is being used instead of an 'N' file word.

There is no reason why you could not use the N file instead of the B file, you can address each bit in the N file just the same as you can in the B file.
By using the N file instead of the B file it would show as decimal in the instruction. If you are only wanting selected bits you could use a masked move from the B file to the N file to limit the number of bits you are looking at.

Alan

I'm reading a block of data from another PLC. Almost all of the block of data is Binary Data with the exception of the first word which is a unique identifier for this block, Because most of the data is Binary the data is written (by remote PLC) to B19. I am using this single INT format value as Pointer. I am currently moving it into an INT location purely to make the programme easier to read. It's easier to figure out where N7:[N7:20] (N7:[3] )is pointing to than N7:[B19:0] (N7:[0000000000000011] ) Like I said in my first post, I can remember that you could alter the way programming software displays memory on an individual basis. Ithink you put some form of identifier in front of the address something like 0x to display as HEX etc.

Yes Damian you are correct it is just as easy to look at the Binary File but you would need to decode the Binary Number to decimal in your head. No big Deal , I just thougfht if I could display it a decimal it may help future trouble-shooting.

Actually Alan that was my "Plan B". If I couldn't display BInary Files as INT's then I was going to modify the MSG instruction so that it wrote the data into an N file. That way the the Pointer would display as a decimal number and I will use the bits of the other N registers as N20:1/6 etc. It was just that if "plan A" worked it was six simple changes, "plan B" requires a few more "search and replaces"

Thankyou all for your replies/input.