Start/Stop type encoders

Pavan

I am trying to interface Start/Stop output type linear encoders to a PLC. But I cant trace out how it works and what kind of plc input is required to read encoder output.... can anyone give me any details for that ?

Which type

hi
please let me know which brand you are using and which type you are using for this linear encoders and what Plc brand also in important
I can help
THX

Liniar encoder work like rotary encoder.
That mean for all the length you will get certain amount of pulses.
You need high speed counter to trace your encoder.(in most cases)
Go to your PLC manual and see how to set the high speed counter.
make sure your input type(PNP\NPN) is a same like the encoder output.
Let me know what kind of PLC you are working with.
I will try to help.

The basic idea is the device will put out a pulse time that is proportional to the distance.
You initiate the transfer with an initiate signal. The device will send out two pulses with some time between them. There is a slightly different interface where you send the initiate and the device only sends back one pulse. You then time between the initiate signal and the return pulse.
It is up to you to measure that time. The specs for your encoder should tell you how distance and time map to each other.
To read this you will need a relatively fast device. Most likely a specialty module that will measure the time between two pulses. I don't think there is anything you can do inside a standard plc that will be able to catch a signal as fast as this is.

Keith

it's not like rotary encoders

Hi
Liniar encoder work like rotary encoder.
No Start/Stop Linear encoders is not working in the same manner like rotary encoders.
Start/Stop linear encoders which is known as "magnetostrictive Displacement Transducers" measure the position as a function of time depending on transmitting a siganl with the light velocity 3x10+e8 m/sec and then receive the reflected signal from a cursor (magnet)
knowing the speed and the time then the cursor position can be calculated.
There are many formats for this sensors outputs .it could be analog voltage /current ,it could be digital(start/stop ,PWM).
In START/STOP FORMAT
When begin the inquire function on the output is generated an impulse named START; the STOP impulse is generated when the pick-up receive the sound-wave from the cursor position.
BR :D

hesham

Could you please send me some info of what you talking about. I think
You mix it with something else,
Or maybe I made a mitake.

Airk
Please provide your e-mail massage to send you a presentation for such product this pproduct is producrd by this companies .you can also check this web sites
Gefran
balluff
MTS
I hope that may help you
BR

you are wright

Panic mode
you are wright the link you provide is for one of application area for this sensors .Please check my link it's for same company.

Arik
Sorry for the typing mistake

BR

confused

My problem is that I already have the START/STOP type encoders and have no details how to use them - now I am confused about the outputs and how are they supposed to give ABSULOTE distance reading !!!

Pavan

Could you please write the type and manufacture of your encoder.

hesham

Could you please direct me to what you takeing about I looked the link you wrote, what I saw is not encoders.

More details

Pavan
in order to help you try to provide more information about your sensor
What is the brand name ?
What is the type you are using ?
good luck :confused:

Arik, let me see if I can clarify some issues. The term used encoder is inappropriate. The device is basically a sensor that offers signals to show when at home or end of travel possibly with analog that offers a position reference.

Need to know the device Pavan to offer suggestions on how to connect it.

Ron
That what I think.
I know liniar encoder (like rotary encoders).
It seems they talking about something else.
I think he talking about analog ruler.LIke what useing in milling machine.