Micrologix 1400 port forwarding

What are you using to port forward? Does the device support vpn?

You would be better served and more secure to vpn to the network where the 1400 sits.

We have a Micrologix 1400 connected to the controllers on a tracking solar panel, the 1400 is connected to a D-link router.
There is no computer involved at that end.
I need to connect over the internet using dyndns to the router and forward to the 1400 to retrieve data and config.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
The 1400's are a fixed item (26 sites)

TCP Port 44818 is the correct port for the Allen-Bradley "EtherNet/IP" protocol that the MicroLogix 1400 uses.

The "EtherNet/IP" driver in RSLinx Classic, however, uses a broadcast packet to detect devices. That obviously won't work over the Internet.

The "Ethernet Devices" driver in RSLinx Classic tries TCP Port 2222 first, to determine if the target device is an old PLC-5E or SLC-5/05. If it gets three "Port Closed" responses in a row, it will switch to trying TCP Port 44818.

Many VPNs and routers will block the TCP Port 2222 connection attempt, assuming it's some sort of port scan attack.

The easy solution is to append ":EIP" to the end of the IP address or hostname in the Ethernet Devices node list. This causes RSLinx to skip the TCP Port 2222 step.

Try using the TCPING utility to connect to Port 44818 over your internet connection to the site. If TCPing works, RSLinx should too.

I always very strongly recommend the use of a VPN for this sort of application, though I've had several bad experiences with D-Link equipment. Which model of router are you using ?

Thanks for the assist, I have to go put out a fire somewhere else.
I'll try your suggestions and get back to you.
The router brand/model is certainly changeable.
The router I have has a VPN configuration built in and perhaps I'll look at that.
I will update you.

VPN is going to be your best route and does not require a pc on site.

Dlink routers are for home use IMO and not very good at that IMO.

WE use sonicwall TZ 200 series http://www.firewalls.com/sonicwall/sonicwall-firewall/sonicwall-tz-firewalls/sonicwall-tz-200

And Tofino Firewalls appliances http://www.tofinosecurity.com/buy/tofino-argon

For connections to remote sites. Much more secure and reliable VPN.

For remote sites you may want to consider connecting equipment to a remote PDU like this http://www.aten.com/products/productList.php?prdClassInput=By Function&prdSubClassInput=20110118144929001&prdInput=20110118145017001

If you don't already have something.

OK, I've reread the posts and I can see where I might have been a bit unclesr.

We have 26 10 kw solar panel sites with trackers.
Soon to be many more we hope.
They are controlled ny a Micrologix 1400.
The Micrologix 1400 has a GUI interface that we access with Internet Explorer over the network to check power output levels, tracking data etc.
I just enter the ip address of the 1400 in IE.
All of this works great if you plug into a switch on the network where the 1400 is located.
What we need to be able to do is connect through the internet to the customers home network, having configured his home router to forward the appropriate ports [2222 and 44818] to the 1400 so we can use IE to access the GUI interface inside the 1400.
The customer is not going to buy a $400 router for this.
We are not using RSLinx or any other proprietary software for this.
Just want to type the IP address of the customers router or a name using dyndns and get to the 1400.
Does anyone have any ideas?

From your first post, I assumed you wanted "remote access" in the traditional industrial sense, to run RSLogix 500 software or an industrial SCADA system that had to access the data tables of the controller.

Since it's the embedded Web page, you just use HTTP on TCP Port 80. That should be very simple with any router.

If you intend to run consumer hardware, I very much like the DD-WRT router firmware. Probably the best wired hardware to run that is the Cisco/Linksys RV042, and of course it's built to run the very common Linksys WRT54G family wireless routers.

Over the years, D-Link hardware has cost me far more in time than it was ever worth in dollars. There's an instructive scene in "Office Space" for dealing with D-Link routers.

Last edited:
I would prob look at using a cellular modem to do something like this. the price of cell modems has dropped alot and if you are just polling the data once a day it will be very cheap to do this per month.

I can see alot of return trips relying on someones home network. I myself have prob went thru at least 3 wireless routers over the last few years.