ethernet switch

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone,
I have a ML1100 and C-More OIT communicating happily through an ethernet switch. I programmed them wirelessly over a local area network. Now i would like to put them into a location that has no network browser. I thought i could just connect my laptop to the same ethernet switch and viola - communication would occur. Clearly NOT! What manual do i need to read to achieve 3 way communication over a switch without a browser involved?

narlin

What exactly do you mean by "network browser" ? Do you mean the wireless router or Internet connection ?

It's probable that your PC is set to automatically get an IP address from a DHCP server (probably that's the WiFi access point or router).

I'll bet you set the PLC and the HMI to have static addresses, but not your PC.

So you need to change your PC to have a Static IP address. This will be in the configuration of the TCP/IP Protocol under your Network Connection for the wired Ethernet port.

I did mean the router. You are correct that the OIT and PLC have fixed IP addresses and of course i know them because i set them. We also have two wireless networks in the office and my PC insists on connecting to one of them (either one, but at least one). Looking at the network connections, i haven't been able to identify the wired connection. As a consequence, the PC always has an IP that has been assigned by DHCP on whichever wireless network it is on. Haven't tried yet, but maybe i can find a hardware switch on the PC to disable the wireless? You seem to understand the problem, I'll keep looking.

Made it work! Just had to explicitly disconnect (not even turn off the radio), then go to tcp/ip properties and put in a static IP.

Thank you.

Narlin