State specific Electrical standards for industrial machines

JOLTRON

Lifetime Supporting Member
Sorry about this vague question but...
How do I know, where can I find what standards a machine needs to be built to for a specific state, for example Michigan, USA. I know there is MIOSHA, NFPA70, NFPA79, NEC2011 which seems to be the same as the NFPA. I'm not sure which standards are a MUST have for Michigan and which ones are a could?

We have a machine being built and delievered from another country and I want to make sure it meets all of our local standards.

Are there company's that will com in and inspect machines? Checking color of wires, machine wiring/setup, labeling.

I found a MIOSHA Part 17 that is for "Electrical Installations" but it's scope is for "permanent electrical systems for construction operations". I'm wondering if their is a seperate one for industrical control panels or if this still covers what I'm looking for.

you have not told us the country the machine is being built in.

the biggest problem you will have is the fact that 50/60 hz devices for example typically burn up in the first year and will need to be replaced. replacement parts may not be available in the USA for those devices. so you keep buying and replacing burnt up components.

single phase power in England for example is 230 volts. there is no 110 volts. 3 phase power is also different.

some european 3 phase motors MUST have L2 connected to L2 !!
otherwise, you will burn up the motor.

Some countries safety standards are a lot more lax than in the USA and will not pass safety requirements in the states.

All of the above statements are from personal experience.

regards,
james

In general standards aren't developed or implemented by states. Usually there is a state building code, many of which are available on line. However, local jurisdictions can and often do trump state standards with more stringent requirements. For example, Chicago requires all industrial control panels to be labeled with a UL-508 serial number, but other communities in Illinois don't.

If you are a machine builder and conform to NEC-2011 you will be OK in most jurisdictions. If you also conform to UL-508 you will be OK in almost all jurisdictions. I always included a provision in my proposals and approval drawings stating that the installing contractor was responsible for compliance with local building codes. I also tried to comply with both of the above, and I never had problems.

NOTE: NEC and UL are not law or mandatory in and of themselves. They become law when cited and incorporated into local codes.

Last edited:
In general standards aren't developed or implemented by states. Usually there is a state building code, many of which are available on line. However, local jurisdictions can and often do trump state standards with more stringent requirements. For example, Chicago requires all industrial control panels to be labeled with a UL-508 serial number, but other communities in Illinois don't.

If you are a machine builder and conform to NEC-2011 you will be OK in most jurisdictions. If you also conform to UL-508 you will be OK in almost all jurisdictions. I always included a provision in my proposals and approval drawings stating that the installing contractor was responsible for compliance with local building codes. I also tried to comply with both of the above, and I never had problems.

NOTE: NEC and UL are not law or mandatory in and of themselves. They become law when cited and incorporated into local codes.

Tom pretty much hit the nail on the head here. Best way I have found to find local rules is to call the local permit office. I have never (not saying impossible) had any locallity turn down a panel that met UL-508 standards.

You're right, NFPA 70 is the the National Electric Code. This is more what you're facility will need to provide rather that what the machine is required to have (that is NFPA 79). You say NEC 2011, but in most jurisdictions that latest version isn't required. For example, where I live, NEC 2005 is the requirement. Although the newer is version is probably what you want as your goal.

Since I don't know of any state specific requirements I would call your local MIOSHA compliance office and ask them. They may even be able to do a courtesy inspection for you or provide local consultants to help you.

Where is it coming from? Machines designed for the European market must be built to IEC/EN 61508. Which while not a requirement of NFPA 79 is listed in the informative annex.

I believe the machine is coming from South Africa, that's all I really know.

Good to know.

Now I just need to find my local permint office and call them.

Thanks for all the input guys!!!

It matters not where the machine is built. What DOES matter is the local authorities where it is being installed.

MI OSHA says you have a state program equal or better than OSHA. Go see them and ask for info relevant to the machine. There are machine specific codes. Another good source is ANSI (lot of OSHA stuff came from ANSI)

NEXT talk to the inspection outfit that is doing electrical. Find out what codes they have adopted. Tom Jenkins said it right - local jurisdictions can adopt NEC (NFPA 70) at their discretion. NFPA is a consensus standard - they are generally not law in and of themselves.

Depending on machine type you may need to talk with mechanical inspectors water air steam etc etc.

IF you can talk to the guy who is signing off the inspection - you may as well know up front what he wants - he is GOING to get it - all he has to do is refuse buy off.

I found a MIOSHA Part 17 that is for "Electrical Installations" but it's scope is for "permanent electrical systems for construction operations". I'm wondering if their is a seperate one for industrical control panels or if this still covers what I'm looking for.

I've yet to see anything in Michigan these last 30 years other than what has already been mentioned (NEC, NFPA, UL, etc). Its always been our customer (GM, Chrysler, Ford & tier ones) that dictated and they usually refer to the same with some additional requirements.

Here's some of Chrysler's:
https://gsp.extra.chrysler.com/mfg/amedd/powertrain/controls/index-cs.htm
https://gsp.extra.chrysler.com/mfg/amedd/powertrain.htm

Every follows NEC70 National Electrical Code for most installations as everybody knows. But, on sites were there are own governing body they only follow NEC70 to min and makeup their own codes and more likely not to be inspected local or state inspectors. You will also find this true on federal installations as well.

I agree that NFPA 70 and 79 are not law in and of themselves; however, they become such by reference from OSHA. While they may not be state law they are federal regulations.