trouble with a pesty analog value

I am used to programming with Ge Fanuc and older version of RS logix so I wondering if I am programming to recieve an analog wrong, they don't seem to have a lot of help files for just that, Attached is what I have programmed so far, I am just simulating an analog value from a process calibrator fluke741b, into a 1756-IF8 analog card, for a 1756 allen bradley Control Logix

I can read the 4-20ma signal with my other multimeter all through the loop.
I have looked at a allen bradley wiring scematic for the card, and follow it to the t.
The card is calibrated and is set to recieve the 4-20 ma signal
It has a high signal of 20
Low signal of 4
High engineering at 100
Low engineering at 0
I verfied that I am on the right channel.
The value as you can see is -25 whether I simulate 4 ma or 20ma
the address should be right to, it I put the source a of an
equal function block to local1:I.ch3data

1756.jpg ff.jpg

Last edited:
OK now I want to get a analog output reading, I have scaled so it was adjust from 0-100 corresponding to the 4-20ma signal, that works but I try to switch the card configuration into 4-20 ma so that the output has the same reading as the input can I do this?

I did that. In the register I monitoring the values and they change accordingly, at 4 ma the value is 0 and at 20 mA value is 100 and that's great but the current is what I am looking at, I have a amp meter hooked up to the output of the analog card and I am wanting to see a change of actual mA, not just value in the register.
When I simulate a 4ma value the output is 0mA
when I simulate a 4ma value the output current is 19.98 mA
when I simulate a 20ma value the output current is 21.21 mA at

Do you have a load attached to the analog output? A resistor in the 200 to 300 ohm range will suffice if a load isn't attached. I do not recommend simply switching a multi-meter to current measurement and attaching it directly to the output. You may as well short the terminals together as do that, which is big no no according to the manual.

MULTIMETER
(---------)
| |
| 0.020 |
| |
PLC | |
OUTPUT | |
RESISTOR | @ V |
200-300 ohms | |
+ o--\/\/\/\/--<===------------------+--@ I |
| |
- o<===------------------------------+--@ C |
| |
(---------)

Last edited:
I called ab, it turns out, that first, my analog input card was set at single ended integer mode. So my range was (-32,767<--> +32,767) so when I input a 4mA signal, my value in the register read -20,000. Which makes since. Previously I had tried to calibrate it, but they said that they have very precise equipment, therefor the fluke calibrator would never be able to calibrate, regardless it should work anyway.
So I told him I wanted the 4-20 ma range, scaling from 0-100.
So we went with float point single ended. I had to reinstall the card.
After that they told me, that if the alarms were not set right, they acted as a clamping circuit, so the value would suffer accordingly, So the alarms had to be set to the same engineering levels I had configured my inputs to be, whatever I chose. I had to do the same with the analog output, after that it works perfectly, its off by a couple of microamps, which is ok.