GE Fanuc 90-30 / Ladder Diagram -(new guy question)

nycha

Hello Everyone - I'm new to the PLC world and was recently asked to obtain ladder diagram software for a GE Fanuc 90-30. The organization that I work for would like to take the ladder diagrams as they exists today from one PLC device and put them onto another, but not sure what I need or how. Any advice on the type of software that I will need to use or reference documents, manuals or books that can help us figure this out would be appreciated. I believe that the PLCs we have contain LogicMaster files (would that make sense?)

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Steve

Thanks Stu. I've been to the ge-ip.com site and spoke to reps there. I even have a sales quote from them. What I'm unclear of is whether I would need to get a copy of both LogicMaster and Machine Edition Standard or would just one of them suffice.
-Do you know if their is a trial version of either of these that I can test out before I make the plunge.
-Is their a way to check the file type / version of the ladder diagrams that are sitting within the GE Fanuc device?
-Any good how-to manuals you would recommend?

Steve

Steve, If you are going from one GEIP platform (90-30) to another, you should be able to get a GEIP sales guy or Application Engineer in there to extract the info for you. There is one big issue with "sucking out" the existing program; all you are going to get is the Ladder code. No names, descriptions or rung comments. Those could not be stored in a 90-30. Is there anyway to get a copy of the program from the OEM?

If you can post what CPU is in the machine and relative age, I may can give you an idea of what to look for.

Since you are in the US, I may can help a little more. PM me with your contact info and I could touch base with you on Monday.

Ricky

Proficy Machine Edition software can be used with more than 80% of the installed base. The only time that one needs LogicMaster is for VERY old PLCs the web site in the link above is a good place to start the search.
You can download a program called PACsAnalyzer that will give you the version of the PLCs in question. Or if you can turn power off of them you can take the CPU out of the rack and check the letter(s) at the end of the CPU it will be IC693CPU###-XX or similar. Click to get PACsAnalyzer it's at the bottom of this page. Your distributor can get you a Demo DVD of the latest version that has everything you will need to get familiar with the product.
You will need a cable either purchase or make the one below.

SNP_Cable_Direct.gif