Will this suppressor work?

PhilipD

Hi all,

I have a PLC that is used to energize a contactor to control a motor. Actually there are five of them. I want to put a suppressor on the coil to reduce back feed spikes to the output module. These are all 120vac coils. This suppressor was recommended but I'm not sure it will work. Will this one work or can you point me to one that will work. Thanks.

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/5KP170CA/5KP170CALFCT-ND/2095373

Hi PhilipD,
The part in your link looks as if it is more for protecting a device from transient voltages not preventing them from being induced. That is basically what an MOV meatl oxide varistor does. I would use something similar to RedLions SNUB0000
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=3170077

This is what I believe you are trying to accomplish, preventing your contactor coils from inducing noise in your system. You can also make your own with a capacitor and resistor in series but I cannot remember the exact values of the components. Hope this helps.

What brand of contactors do you use?
Alot of time the manufacturer has a type that mounts nicely on their
contactors or starters

What brand of contactors do you use?
Alot of time the manufacturer has a type that mounts nicely on their
contactors or starters

2 are AB, 1 is Telemecanique, 1 is Square D and the last one is unknown. This last one was built in 1963 and I think most of the electrical is original.

That part is a TVS rated at 170V and is bipolar, which means it will work for AC. These type transient suppressors are very good for protecting semiconductor devices since they operate so fast. MOVs and RC snubbers are also good options. Your choice.

Thanks RDS, I'm happy to know it will work.

Keith, good link. That looks good to use also. Might just go with that one. But as long as the PLC is protected I guess any one of these will work.