What is your favorite HMI programming software and why?

kandymann

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am new to HMI software and I am only familiar with Factory Talk. I am not a big fan of it so I am looking for other avenues of HMI control.

What software do you use and why?

Thanks

It's simply too broad a question.

What's your requirement?
why don'tyou like Factortalk?
Stand-alone vs server-client?
Integrated touch-panel?
Database integration?
etc...etc..

I'm a little biased, but it's AdvancedHMI. The reasons I prefer it:

- I can make it do anything a PC can possibly do
- No runtime fees or tag based licenses
- Free development environment
- Runs on standard windows hardware, so if the hardware fails, a simple laptop will get you through until hardware is replaced
- Runs on low cost hardware (15" panel mount touch screen with Win7 is about $1300)
- Since it is based on .NET, the support community is probably an order of magnitude greater than the most popular dedicated HMI software

Many of the guys here like Red Lion "Crimson 3"

All the main controls MFGs have something.
Are you looking for something PC based or a standard HMI?
Many will split along this line.

Hello,

My biased opinion is for PeakHMI.

ü Unlimited tags, graphics, drivers, etc.
ü 27 drivers and counting
ü OPC DA server and client
ü Full graphics environment
ü Alarming, data logging, trending, reporting, video camera interface
ü Great support

I could go on. ;)

While not as low cost as Archie's HMI, it is a very low price for all the features.

Depends on the HMI type pc based or a "real" HMI
I tend to like the E1000 series for HMI's (originally Beijers) or the Beijers series & I tried the CEZAR pc based HMI from them & it worked a treat, The software for the E series is only £90 or so
I also dislike RSV for two reasons one they seem to have copied & modified the RSV32 Scada software, it's expensive & takes some getting used to it also falls over on a regular basis.
As for many other HMI's like Redlion etc these also seem simple to configure & quite reliable

Check out Ignition from Inductive Automation. It allows you to launch unlimited clients from your web browser, supports most SQL databases, and includes a native OPC-UA server or can work with others. It's written in Java so you can run it on pretty much any OS (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc).

I really think using .Net on a PC... if you have the appropriate data bridge... and are familiar with .Net... is the way to go. Environmental factors can be a concern... but if you really can understand the memory map of the PLC CPU... you can typically call for ranges of data in memory... at the bit level... then you have all the power and flexibility of .Net and the PC platform and various features offered as standard on a PC platform that could be, depending on manufacturer... very very costly to and to the PLC rack. PCs cannot replace PLCs for speed, and precision control... but for an HMI... it opens up a lot of doors... and it is low cost... depending on the bridge.