EthernetIP and Compactlogix with third party I/O

markw

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys

I am currently trying to test an EthernetIP to Modbus gateway from IPCDAS GW- 7472 with a compactlogix L32E 5332R with FW 1.15 (RSLogix 5000 V17).

I’m a novice user of Compactlogix but am familiar with DeviceNet setup but not EIP.

I am trying to use the L32E inbuilt Ethernet port to read the modbus data from the GW-7472 but I’m not sure how to setup things in the Compactlogix.

I do see both the Compactlogix and GW-7472 in RSLinx on the Ethernet network.

I have started by adding a generic Ethernet interface but again I’m not sure if I can use the L32E as an EIP scanner.

Does anybody have an examples of how to read from third-party EIP i/o with a Compactlogix L32E.

Many thanks
Mark

From what I've read of their user manual, there's enough information in there about the Assembly Objects and how they work to configure and use the module with ControlLogix/CompactLogix.

What ICP-DAS should provide is a document with RSLogix 5000 screenshots and examples, so make it easy for a non-expert to configure the Generic Ethernet Module and use their product with Logix.

Have you asked to see if they have such a document ? Would they be willing to loan one of their modules to RA (or an RA network expert, ahem) to have a technote written and some tests done ?

I don't have spare time to try to interpret their documentation but you have the right general idea to use the Generic Module and set up Assemblies whose number, format, and contents match their Assembly definitions.

HI Widelto

I loaded the EDS file into RSLinx and RSNetwork for EIP but when I look on RSlogix500 is see the yellow Traiangle on the ethernet module.

Im not sure if I have to use any code in my program to initiate the connection between the L32E and the GW-7472 gateway, as mentioned I am not an expert with AB.

I have attached a screen shot of the hardware to see if anyone has any ideas.

hardware.jpg

Hi Ken
Very much appreciate the help.
I did ask for a data sheet or app guide but they don’t have anything at this time.

My hardware seems to complain but I'm not sure if this is my setup.

Don't worry about the EDS file; it's strictly for RSLinx to show a device in the browse. RSLogix and the L35E's port don't use the EDS at all.

The error 16#0204 indicates a connection attempt is timing out. This means either that the module is not at the address you think it is, or that the EtherNet/IP port isn't accepting a connection (rather than sending a more informative connection refusal).

So let's do the basic Ethernet stuff: PING the GW7472's IP address and verify that it shows up in a Web browser or using their discovery tool. Their user manual seems to cover that fairly well.

HI Ken
Thanks for the help.
I can see the device on the network and it does respond to a ping.
I guess regardless of any code in the PLC I should not see any hardware error.
I have attached the properties of the Ethernet module to see if it helps further.

Many thanks
Mark

ethernet.jpg

From what I see in the manual, the input instance should be 101 and the output instance should be 102. Also, you need to have the input and output objects constructed in the gateway before EIP comms will operate. Finally, make sure the byte/word counts match in the objects on both the gateway and the PLC.

Keith

OK Guys
Just to close the loop.
My problem is fixed by a firmware update of the GW7472.
IPCDAS sent me a firmware update for the interface, after installing the update and changing my input and output instances as Keith mentioned Logix 5000 showed "connected".
I then read my Modbus data from my slave device with no problems.

The GW7472 required FW 1.4
The utility also had a problem with creating the EDS file but this has also been fixed with R1.03 of their configuration utility.

Thanks again all of you for your help.
I will produce an application guide but I'm not sure where I can post it.

Thanks
Mark