automated human load cell

blueyedpeter

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi there all
This question was raised because of my lack of knowledge of machine building and code writing.

As a project for home i am automating an exercise bike .

The plc is an Allen Bradley 5/03 with numerous cards , as a analogue input , a high speed counter card.

The panel-view is a 300 micro

To be brief there are two load devices ( magnetic tension) which are driven from the back wheel , and these devices are now motor driven( as they have been modified ) to be adjusted by the plc , so the effort that the rider experiences will also be adjusted as per the program .

My questions are actually about code writing and structure , there are only two main inputs as proximity switches.

One reads the rpm of the back wheel the other reads the crank rotations of the rider .

As speed is a measurement of distance over a given time period . and i have never before undertaken such a task a high speed counter can record the rotational inputs of both the back wheel and the crank rotations . My basic understanding is while counting these inputs and recording riding time in minuets or seconds i would need to compare these together and come up with a unit of speed as a result .

Which will be reused in a variety of ways

Now the storage of the information as a second question

An N7 registrar is a unit or a piece of code that is used for holding numeric information i would then say if i can conquer this piece of the code puzzle the rest will be a form of repartition i have a panel-view 300 micro in which the information will finally be displayed for the rider to view buts that's later .Any hints were i could find a better understanding of how too start this type of information gathering and updating would help and get the bike rolling so to speak and thanks again for any advice that you might like to share. cheers and good health

I didn't pick up on your first question, these seem more like statments. Are you looking for confimration? Suggestions?

As for the N7 data file, it is just that .... a data file. It is not a piece of code. The word "code" implies instructions. Data files simply hold memory values. In this instance, an "N" file is formatted to 16 bit data registers.

A good place to start is some tutorials on YouTube. Search for things like RSLogix500 tutorial.

Thanks for the reply the information about speed measurement should have been more direct so here it is .

In the terms of code writing the only inputs that i have are bit inputs or pulses.
So in terms of code writing i am assuming that there are several layers of code to get through to allow a simple update-able number to be displayed on the panelview 300 micro .
So the question is that converting the bit logic or pulses along with time into a number such as speed (km/Hr) would require a certain style of code and a starting point .

You might start with a simple an up timer and an up counter which are separate at this point , and have not been brought together .

And this is where i am right now , so how to compare there values together .

And later using an N register to store the information , rate change is and will always be the foundation and building blocks of the final program.

Rider information along with a lot of other data will be used and reused to display a lot of other information .

As speed and speed change will be pivotal in every calculation after this point and the very first step is motion or speed recording and display along with a reasonable level of accuracy .

Calibration of the system will come later once the project is up and rolling . thanks again for any information you might share .

The pulse is coming from an inductor reading a sprocket I would assume. This will give you a number of pulse per rotation that depends on the number of teeth on the sprocket. You will get an average speed in RPM by totalizing (Up counter)the pulses and then dividing by the number of teeth, and reading and resetting this counter every minute (timer).