Clearing RIO Scanner fault

clecol

Hey all,
I have a 1747-SN RIO Scanner which I don't intend to use anytime soon, but I want to leave in the rack. However, if I leave it in the rack and have it setup in my IO Configuration, it faults the processor upon entering run mode. If I leave it out of my IO Configuration, the processor still faults upon entering run mode.
Isn't there any way I can just leave it in the rack and ignore it???

Yes, but you must have it in the I/O config for the SLC or use the slot enable bits to disable the particular slot in which it's installed. I don't recommend turning off the slot enable, because you will not get any card to work in that slot in the future if you forget about that little zero in the status file.

So, leave it in the configuration, leave it disconnected, and put a little piece of black electrical tape over its status LED so the flashing red light doesn't draw unwanted attention. The SLC should sit there and run happily with a faulted (but functioning) 1747-SN module with no network connected to it.

It should not cause a SLC CPU fault unless someone did something unusual in your program. I have one in the exact state you described above installed for a future project, and it does not fault the SLC.

You could disable the Slot; look in the Processor Status and you'll see an array of IO slot enable bits. Just put a zero on that 1747-SN's slot.

The fact that it causes a processor fault just by being configured and unused indicates either that it's not configured properly (like there's a different module ID in the slot configuration) or that the module is damaged or defective. A configured but unaddressed/unconnected 1747-SN will not cause a CPU fault.

What is the error code that RSLogix 500 reports when the controller faults (with the 1747-SN installed) ?

You could disable the Slot; look in the Processor Status and you'll see an array of IO slot enable bits. Just put a zero on that 1747-SN's slot.

The fact that it causes a processor fault just by being configured and unused indicates either that it's not configured properly (like there's a different module ID in the slot configuration) or that the module is damaged or defective. A configured but unaddressed/unconnected 1747-SN will not cause a CPU fault.

What is the error code that RSLogix 500 reports when the controller faults (with the 1747-SN installed) ?

I'm about 99% sure we're never going to use something else in the slot so I went ahead and disabled that slot and then removed it from my IO Configuration so no blinky light :) Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated!