Interview

Super Dave

Hello!
I recently applied for an I&C Technician for a major power company. In the next few days I will take a pre-employment test and interviewed. The recruiter told me that the starting pay for this job is considerably less than my present salary.($6-$10/hr less) This is less than most industrial electricians in this area make. She said that I would have to go through their training program. Why the low pay considering that I do have experience in this field? On the other hand I am still considering the job because the salary's top range is higher than what I presently make. I've heard that this is common for power companies. Has anyone else applied for a similar job with a power company and found this to be true?

Super Dave

Don't know about the power industry Super Dave but, In my experiance I have been offered a salary to start with a company and promised even to a contractual stage increased pay after an aggreeable amount of time, but I have been left out in the cold when it eventually comes around. As such I would recommend not starting on a lower pay then you make, for the position of course !

Its always easier to sort out pay related matters before you join then when you're there a while, things like a downturn in the companys profit may put a payfreeze over your contract etc, so unless you are happy to stay on that pay don't do it !!!!

If the top pay was $2.00 an hour more than you are making now and they gave it to you at the end of 1 year, it would take 3 to 5 years to recover the $6,000 to $10,000 loss while waiting. I would try to negotiate a better offer from them. Unless there are considerable other benefits, I would not take the job.

Personally, I'm developing an allergy to the word "If."

These interviewers give you all the warm fuzzy feelings, but you've got to make sure they're not waiting for something.

Sounds like typical HR bull****. Unless firm commitments are in writing, signed and agreed upon by both parties, witnessed by a legal eagle, DON'T DO IT.
Heard all this before over the years but when it comes to the crunch there are all sorts of excuses like budget cuts, economic downturn etc etc. HR will get their increases though. Have no time for HR. They appear to be very good at making jobs for themselves and their mates but not much else. Have nick names for them too but cannot put them on the website.
beerchug

Don't do it. Tell them you will give them half what they want for their product until you decide if it's worth it.