Which FTView is more reliable/stable?

Farnesi

Hello!

I'm installing a new FTView application and don't know which version to pick:

Actually I'm running 5.10 but I have some issues. My application has 2 servers, 12 client's, around 20 PLC's. It's a Hirschmann RS30 network.

The new application will be 2 servers, 4 clients and 4 PLC's.

I'm not sure if I should upgrade my 5.1 to 6.0 and not sure either which version should I install on my new application.

Do you guys have any advice for me? I just want the more reliable setup.

remember ITS FRIDAY 🍻

I just finished one about 2 months ago. I went with 6.1 and have had no issues with it. It does use a SQL database instead of the Watcom database. It also supports x64 servers.

I have had no issues to speak of with that application. It is a redundant application and has 5 clients and about 25 PLC's attached with 200+ screens. It has a ridiculous amount of datalog configured too. It has about 15k tags on datalog to SQL. It also uses the redundant FTAE and Data Servers (RSLE). This application was multiple RSView32 stations that we migrated to SE. Far easier to manage as a single application.

I am starting another project next week that will have about 18 clients and 12 PLC's. This one has about 300 screens. We will be using 6.1 on that one too. I would use the current version for a new project myself.

The upgrade from 5.1 to 6.0 or 6.1 is not a difficult job either. There are a few extra steps if you upgrade your server to x64/6.1.

I would look real close at the release notes to determine if your issues are addressed in either of the newer releases. There is no guarantee that whatever you are having trouble with was fixed. You may not gain anything by upgrading. I would consider 5.1 a stable release.

FT View SE Distributed is a challenging environment to work in. It is very very flexible, but there is a lot to know in order to be successful with it.

and yes TGIF!

RSL

I have 6.0 with allied telesis ethernet switch, stratix ethernet switches and more than 40 plcs, sql server, XlReporter client, Rsenergy server and 4 clients with no problem,

Good to know. Well, do you think it's the same installing a new application than upgrading an old one?

The 5.1 used to be 4.0 and it was upgraded already. Upgrading it again to 6.0 or 6.1 might be worst than building it again from 0?

The upgrade of the SE application would not worry me at all. I would be concerned with the server OS though. I usually like a clean slate for large important builds. Nothing beats a clean install in a fresh OS.

I would build a fresh server(s) OS and get it/them all patched up with whatever roles you require plus the required stuff like IIS etc. Then install the SE version of your choice followed by the latest patch roll-up. Restore FT Directory or rebuild FT Directory then import your existing application.

I am not sure how many of these you have done before but, there are a TON of rules when you lay one of these systems out. How many servers, what services can go on each etc. I would highly recommend reading the guides available on KB.

I am sure I missed lots of steps, this post is not meant as a primer on how to do the whole job. :)

RSL

Last edited:
I see. Well what our choice as architecture is

2 x Dell PowerEdge R610 (2 x Intel® Xeon® Six-Core E5649 2.53GHz, 12M cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 6C (80W) + 32GB ram + 3 x 600GB HD 10K RPM on RAID 5)

Which server has 5 NICs...

It will be running VMWare vSphere 5

One Virtual Machine will be for the already working application

Second Virtual Machine will be for the new application

I'm taking a look for the specifications for the OS setup

I see. Well what our choice as architecture is

2 x Dell PowerEdge R610 (2 x Intel® Xeon® Six-Core E5649 2.53GHz, 12M cache, 5.86 GT/s QPI, Turbo, HT, 6C (80W) + 32GB ram + 3 x 600GB HD 10K RPM on RAID 5)

Which server has 5 NICs...

It will be running VMWare vSphere 5

One Virtual Machine will be for the already working application

Second Virtual Machine will be for the new application

I'm taking a look for the specifications for the OS setup

All of them would be stable/reliable IMO, but I understand v6.1 and the latest FTSP have enhancements specifically for virtual environments.

If the OS is 64-bit, I would use v6.1, but consult the compatibility documentation on the KB before choosing.