Laptop for rslogix

bdoutney

Lifetime Supporting Member
Well I've broken my laptop yanking the cat 5 patch cord out with the help of a forklift driver and need a new one. I would like to buy a win7 machine 64 bit and am getting conflicting advice from RA tech connect and my distributor about it working with their software.
I will mostly be using RSlogix500, RSlinx, and the web browser for panelview component HMI's. I have a CLX project coming up that I would also like to use it on too. But that's not crucial as we have another computer with RSLogix5000 on it already.
Does anyone have a laptop that works with these programs?

Bought a D620 from RedTag.com for $199 a couple of weeks ago. The refurb market is awash in D620's and D630's.

If you're using a machine exclusively for field PLC work, I say get one of those cheap ones and install everything in XP.

I run VMWare on my Win7x64 box but it leads a largely pampered desktop life.

All of the laptops I have seen running RSLogix are Windows XP, I saw a vendor running 5000 under the XP mode in windows 7, He said he was unable to get RA software to run on Win 7. My machine is Dual boot, It's coming up on 3 years old now.

I got a Windows 7 Dell laptop running with all of the Rockland software. It's 32 bit. I think there are still some issues with the 64 bit version. I am running RS5000 ver 19, RS500, RSLinx (2.57), RSView 32 and RSStudio 6.0. From talking to A-B RS5000 version 20 will support 64 bit but thats not till next year sometime.

From talking to A-B RS5000 version 20 will support 64 bit but thats not till next year sometime.

Actually RSLogix5000 v19 supports win7 x64. You can find the compatibility matrix here: http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42682/kw/42682

I'm running Win7 Pro SP1 x64 with RSLogix5000 v15-19 installed and haven't had any problems yet. Just had to make sure I had the latest versions of RSLinx Classic installed. My laptop is an HP ENVY17.

The following technote says that RSLogix5000 v13-18 are "known to work on win7" but not officially supported. V19 is officially supported (SP1 is not officially supported).
http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/67020/kw/win%207%20compatibility/related/1

Hope this helps.

Benaiah

I'll add my 2 cents. Yes, you can get the very latest software to run on win7. But personally, I don't have the luxury of only working with the latest versions. For the immediate future, I'd stick with XP. If you must go Win7, then learn to use VMWare so you can run XP images for older software. If you are going this way, consider replacing any PCMCIA interfaces with USB versions as part of the cost. That's probably true for any state of the art pc anyway.

I have RSLogix5k (v13-v19), 500, 5, Linx, FTVS 6.0, RSNetworks, PanelBuilder32, Drive Tools all running in W7 32bit. Next week we are getting a 64 bit machine and we will be testing that one out.

I think the only issue we ran into with getting it all working was getting .NET 1.1 framework installed. Some packages seemed to depend on it, but didn't inform you. We ended up downloading it and installing it, then we got all of our software packages going.

I have RSLogix5k (v13-v19), 500, 5, Linx, FTVS 6.0, RSNetworks, PanelBuilder32, Drive Tools all running in W7 32bit. Next week we are getting a 64 bit machine and we will be testing that one out.

I think the only issue we ran into with getting it all working was getting .NET 1.1 framework installed. Some packages seemed to depend on it, but didn't inform you. We ended up downloading it and installing it, then we got all of our software packages going.
Last November you had said you were getting a Win 7 machine 64 bit and would be testing it out. How is it working? I am looking to run logix 500 on it.

We have a few people in my department (my self included) running 64bit with no issues.

We are still running FTVS 6.0 so we run that in the included Windows XP Mode. Other than that I run everything natively in 64bit.

We got a couple of extra accessories too: a USB to serial adapter and a 1747-UIC to talk DH485 to SLC 5/01, 02 and 03's.

Last edited:
I myself am running a Dell D620 with XP and I am able to use all RA software. At my current company there are three machines with Win7 on them and they are able to use RA software without any dual boot or VM. At least not that I'm aware of. It can be done but from what I heard has to be done can be a bit tricky. Also you have to look into newer computers not having a designated serial port. I know some software and hardware don't like working well with the USB to serial adapters. So always having a laptop with a designated serial could be a good thing.