Control a Silvermax motor with a PLC

gschwab

I have several Quicksilver control "Silvermax" S23-5-E-01 motors and would like to be able to control them via PLC. I'm thinking of trying a PLC from the Direct Logic line (DL05?)from automation direct.
I one instance i'm going to be doing simple rotary motion ie: a rotary table application and in another an X axis with the motor driving a ball screw.
I already have these motors and the associated documentation that is why I want to use this particular brand. As for the PLC, any advice?
any links to tutorials or programming examples? I am VERY new at PLC's so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George

I found ....

Ok, I'm a dummy in too much of a hurry:oops:. I've answered a couple of my own questions already just by taking the time to look around this site. Found the store and the "learn plcs" link above.

George,

It appears that the Quicksilver Controls Inc. "Silvermax" is a type of 12-to-48 volt DC Servomotor. Servomotors are not usually suitable for direct control from a PLC analog ouput module.

For example, the smallest SilverMax I found was 16 watts, or 1.3 Amps. Compare this to the typical PLC analog output of 20 milliamps (0.020 amps). Connecting a motor like this directly will probably lead to a burned-out PLC analog output.

Some PLCs have a PWM (Pulse-Width Modulated) voltage output that might be used to drive the SilverMax motor.

Thanks Lancie1,

These are the old silvermax with the built in controller and external power supply. Looking at the command reference http://www.qcontrol.com/SP/OB/SilverMaxCommandReference401.pdf I think I'm beginning to form some understanding of how it can work, I just need to study PLC programming!!
The commands for Position Input Mode(PIM), Analog Continous Read, and the Scaled Step and Direction look like a few that might be of use to me. I think I have a lot of reading and experimenting to do!