Alternate PLC5 Communications

iraiam

Hi All,

I'm building a PLC5 system into my home, mostly for educational purposes, but I'm going to do some useful stuff with it.

I have a desire to put the processor on a communications network, either Ethernet, or DH+. I need the communications to support controls software (wonderware or similar).

I am considering upgrading to a processor with a 1785-ENET side car on it, or getting a DH+ PCI card for a computer.

I have a functional connection to the processor (CH0) via an inexpensive Ethernet to RS232 converter, but this link appears only to be good for programming the controller.

Right now my cheapest option seems to be a Processor with an ENET Side car on it, which will likely cost at least a few hundred bucks. A DH+ expansion card will likely cost at least that much as well.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If you can communicate thru the serial port with the programming software, then
I see no reason why Wonderware or any other SCADA software won't also.

Be sure to turn up the serial port data rate to 19200; its default of 1200 baud is painful to try to do any meaningful work with.

Since you're buying secondhand hardware, I suspect that the DH+ card is going to be easier to find, as they're increasingly obsolete because of the age of the computers they'll run in. The 1785-ENET will plug into a brand-new PLC5, making it worth more in the aftermarket.

Very good, I'll continue trying to make it work with just the serial port, it's set at 19200 baud.

Ken, My processor does not have the necessary firmware to make the 1785-ENET work. I can burn a very large selection of EPROMS, but I have not researched what it would take to duplicate the firmware upgrade...Yet.

Thanks for the tips.

what flavor of RSLinx are you using? ... if it's only the free "Lite" version then it will probably work OK for programming with RSLogix5 - but you'll need something with more horsepower to handle the DDE/OPC, etc. setups necessary to communicate with your HMI software ...

this flavor of RSLinx won't be "Lite" - and it won't be "free" ...

Last edited:
what flavor of RSLinx are you using? ... if it's only the free "Lite" version then it will probably work OK for programming with RSLogix5 - but you'll need something with more horsepower to handle the DDE/OPC, etc. setups necessary to communicate with your HMI software ...

this flavor of RSLinx won't be "Lite" - and it won't be "free" ...

To add to this some SCADA software have their own serial drivers to communicate with AB PLC's. So you may not need RSLinx.

Rslinx Classic Lite 2.57. I believe it is a different version than what RA offers for free, the free one only has the ability to talk to a 1000 or 1100,which is what I used to have, my current has a long list of communication drivers, most of which I have never used.

the free one only has the ability to talk to a 1000 or 1100,

this is incorrect ... you're confusing RSLogix with RSLinx (and yes, I'll admit that the names are close enough to be confusing) ...

the RSLogix500 (programming software) which is offered for free will only work with MicroLogix 1000 and 1100 processors ... (that is a correct statement) ...

but RSLogix (programming) software is not the same as RSLinx (communications) software ...

the RSLinx Lite (communications software) which is offered for free will work with almost ALL of the Allen-Bradley processors – as long as all you want to do is program them ... (that's the good news) ...

BUT ... (and here's the bad news) ...

the Lite version of RSLinx will NOT do DDE or OPC links – which basically means that you can't use it for communicating with HMI-type systems ...

tricky part:

some versions of RSLinx Lite will indeed let you "set up" or "create" a link for DDE or OPC – but the link won't actually work ... it's sort of a cruelty joke when that happens ...

Last edited:
Well I need to learn the PLC5 platform better, Those top end processors are indeed expensive. I bought a 16 slot PLC5 rack with a 1785-L20B processor and a variety of I/O modules for about $300, I have fully tested it, the only problem I can find with it is the "active" LED on one output module is bad.

If it were me, I'd just keep using the serial port, since it's just for small projects and experimentation. An Ethernet/RS232 interface will make it convenient but not faster.

I commissioned a handful of PLC-5/40 and 5/80 jobs in the mid 90's with nothing but a 50' serial cable and a Toshiba Satellite for tools. When I complained about not being able to see the machine and the PLC at the same time, they bought me a 200' serial cable.

they bought me a 200' serial cable.
Its important to have the right tools for the job. You were lucky to work for a top notch company that provided these tools for you. Did they also have great benifits?