help me !!!!! wonderware

alex_cordova

I installed wonder ware on my computer, i have rslogix 5000 with bootp dhcp
when i installed wonderware, i have to install Microsoft 2005 server, and know i cant use bootp dhcp, it says unalbe to create server socket, when try to open program, i know its that wonder ware soft ware doing, what can i do

to be honset, i dont know , the software has like 12 cds, i dont even know how to use it yet , i just like it becuase it has those new archesta symbols, so i dont even which cds to install.
if i use the software , i am going to use Ethernet connection with control logix and slc.

so iam just wondering if it going to mess up my allen bradley soft ware??
if it is i will just install it in another computer

You need Wonderware, an sql database of some kind (I use a simple one like MSSql) and DASABCIP. DASABCIP is kinda hard to install, but that's what you need.

Pay attention to the install instructions in Wonderware. Those things I listed are the basics, there's lots of stuff you can add.

Please help clarify your post:

You're using RSLogix 5000 and ControlLogix controllers, as well as the Rockwell Software "BOOTP/DHCP Utility".

When you start the BOOTP/DHCP Utility, you get an error message that includes the phrase "unable to create server socket".

The BOOTP/DHCP Utility did not generate this error prior to the installation of the Wonderware software, so you are wondering if the Wonderware software broke something about Windows that makes the BOOTP/DHCP Utility malfunction, and this makes you concerned it might break other software functions.

In general, a large number of Wonderware users also run ControlLogix and RSLogix 5000, so I don't think there's a fundamental incompatibility.

The BOOTP/DHCP Utility relies on UDP Port 67, and if some other software package is using that port, the BOOTP/DHCP Utility can't use it.

Fortunately most RA devices can be configured without that utility (like via the serial port) so it's not totally mandatory to get this fixed. It's certainly possible that the other software that's taken over UDP Port 67 can do the configuration of the RA devices for you.

If you want to determine what program is using UDP Port 67, open a Command console window and type "netstat -nab". If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7, you have to find CMD.EXE in the Start menu, right-click and select "Run as Administrator".

The output of netstat will show you which executable (the -b option) is using UDP Port 67. In my case it's the BOOTP/DHCP Server executable:

UDP 0.0.0.0:67 *:*
[BootpServer.exe]
UDP 0.0.0.0:68 *:*
Dhcp

Ken's info is good; however, I have never in my 28 years of programming used Bootp. There's always a way to set your IP address when programming. If you want to be sure of what you have, doing it manually is the way to go. I know that doesn't apply to everyone, but I usually wear my "old MAN hat" and never depend on software to "magically" do what I need to do.

Defining and setting your addresses is network 101. Allowing other (and often unknown) software to interfere is a road I have traveled badly! The less complications, the better.

Hello Alex...

First off... the comments from Ken and Tom are good. You never did say what OS you were running this software on, and you indicated that you wanted to use this version for ArchestrA graphics. There are a couple of issues here.

ArchestrA graphics are only enabled on this particular version IF you are using InTouch for System Platform... BUT, the latest InTouch 2012 does allow for standalone InTouch to use these graphics. BIG version upgrade that was annouced this past week at our annual user conference. So, I doubt you will be able to achieve what you desire, at least from what I have read.

Another big upgrade for this version... ALL software is delivered on ONE DVD..!! including the localized versions.

But, I digress. Back to the point. In a very large percentage of installs BOOTp is never an issue with these two products, and as Tom stated "Networking 101" is in play. I have seen, back in the day, where the programming port on the PLC was dedicated to RSLogix, and would NOT let any other software run through it until you released the port. You didn't memtion the PLC type, so it's something to consider. I'm guessing, since you are using a fairly antiquated utility (BOOTp) that this may be the case.

I believe you have some very capable talent on the line here... please be a bit more forth-coming with information that we can take action on... and put this issue to bed.