Differences Between PLC Output Cards

Discrete outputs are only ON/OFF and this is further
clasified by the type of output (relay, transistor, triac).
Analog outputs are providing signal that can gradualy
change from one value to another. Standard ranges are
for example 0-10V, -10 to +10V, 4-20mA, 0-20mA.

Panic Mode to the rescue !!!

Your just too Damn nice, ye know that.........

Can you help me with my Traffic Light Machine??? honest its for work...........

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Discrete

You are right about the traffic lights.

It must be January and classes have begun AGAIN. What amazes me is some of the questions that we get and with just a hint of initiative, the student could found out the answer easily enough. I did a google search on "Differences between discrete and analog" and found the answer in less than a minute. Maybe they need to teach Google 101.

P.S.
What is a normally open switch?

There seams to be a bit of confusion with the way the question is worded. I'm looking for the physical difference between the types of output cards. Sorry for not being an engineer.

you don't need to be an engineer to word a question properly.

physical differences: they circuits are different (obviously), the terminal blocks may be different

since all cards for a given PLC must go into the same slot, there is little variation for physical difference between cards.

why do you need to know this?

The biggest physical difference is the volume of contained smoke and the threshhold voltage for releasing the smoke. For example, with an analog card 120 VAC is usually sufficient to release all of the smoke. With discrete relay outputs, it may require more than 600 volts to release the smoke.