RSLogix 5000 slow

realolman

My RsLogix 5000 is slower than death to launch and open a file.

I don't know for sure but I think this started when I updated to ver 19.

Anybody have any suggestions.

I just opened internet explorer and posted this post while a file was opening and it hasnt opened yet.

I have the same problem... could the boot time be affected by the number of versions you have installed? I have them all back to v13.

I have heard of issues when certain versions are installed out of order, but I think the symptoms end up different. The only trouble I have had was when our license server was moved and I still had a reference to it in my FT Activation Tool Settings tab (concurrent licenses here).

I think if you install version 18 before version 17 there is a more serious issue, but if they get installed in order it does not occur.

There are others with similar or identical symptoms. I believe the root causes have been to do with licensing (path search contains USB drive no longer present, for example).

I've had this same issue before. I have vs 15-19 installed and I installed them completely out of order.

The root of my problem was DNS issues on my network. Here was my set up.

Server with activation manager running hosting a FT View license.
My computer with activation manager running hosting a RSLogix 5000 license.

Due to the DNS issues I could not ping the server via host name so I had added it to my computers activation manager via IP address. When I would start RSLogix 5000 it would try to talk to that server (even though I had a local license) but it couldn't (even though I'd specified its IP). The result was really long start up times.

Once we resolved the DNS issues on our network it all worked fine.

Rockwell support also said to do this http://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5483/kw/CHECKDRIVES%3DC
I don't know if that worked or not because I tried it while I still had DNS issues and that alone didn't fix the problem.