I know you guys are good..CNC plc ladder question

stump1189

Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem getting a straight answer about a PLC on a cnc machine. Ok I bought this cnc machine that has been sitting up for 2 years, of course the plc backup battery is dead. I know when the battery goes dead you loose your plc ladder. I cannot figure out what the actual plc ladder is, I know in theory it has I/O's that control relays,motors,etc. The machine has parameters that can hold data like 01000010 and -435.000 whatever. I asked one guy if he had a copy of the ladder for the machine he said he did and he would email it to me. So when I got the email I was expecting a file of some sort but it was a list of parameters. So I got on cnc machine forums and there telling me it's not simple parameters but it's a file. Is it possible that the ladder is actually reading the data in parameters? If it is an actual file i'm in big trouble because I don't have a backup copy, and that means a little "C" cell battery has made this machine into a 4,000 lb paper weight. :oops:
P.S. Please forgive me about my ignorance on PLC’s

Last edited:
CNC's i've worked on in the past have always had a PLC file.

are you sure it's a parameter file? Heidenhain's use statement list style programming so could possibly look like a list of parameters although it contains logic etc.

The file you have may also only display as ladder once it's loaded - Have you tried loading the provided backup?

I am not sure what brand of cnc you are running but here at work we had a ram failure in our mazak machine. I ended up calling mazak and they still have the ram card with the program. The machine was but it 1990. So check with manufacturer of the cnc they maybe able to help you.

Hi Guys,
I'm having a problem getting a straight answer about a PLC on a cnc machine. Ok I bought this cnc machine that has been sitting up for 2 years, of course the plc backup battery is dead. I know when the battery goes dead you loose your plc ladder. I cannot figure out what the actual plc ladder is, I know in theory it has I/O's that control relays,motors,etc. The machine has parameters that can hold data like 01000010 and -435.000 whatever. I asked one guy if he had a copy of the ladder for the machine he said he did and he would email it to me. So when I got the email I was expecting a file of some sort but it was a list of parameters. So I got on cnc machine forums and there telling me it's not simple parameters but it's a file. Is it possible that the ladder is actually reading the data in parameters? If it is an actual file i'm in big trouble because I don't have a backup copy, and that means a little "C" cell battery has made this machine into a 4,000 lb paper weight. :oops:

This is a classic/textbook example of the value of the PLC program. When buying any used equiptment, the value of the machine is certainly enhanced when the new owner actually has a valid copy (digital) of the program running in the controller.
The same could be said about any PLC, anywhere.
Which, of course, begs the question...

"Do you know where a valid and reliable copy of YOUR PLC program is kept...right now?"

Hi Guys,
This is also a classic example of asking the right question AND including enough detail that someone may be able to give an intelligent answer. :oops:

Many CNC controllers have the ability to run ladder logic tasks and these are often referred to as a "PLC".

It is also true that many machines that have CNC controllers also have PLCs that control the non-CNC operation of the machine. From Stump1189's description, I'm wondering if he's dealing with a machine that has both a CNC controller and a stand alone PLC. The PLC has lost its program, and he's been given the CNC's parameter list but not the PLC program.

Give us the make and model of the machine and the make and model of the CNC control and then MAYBE. I have some older Matsuuras with old Fanuc 6M-A controls and the parameters do it all.

Thank you guys for all the replys,
It actually gets worse the parameter list he emailed me is actually pictures of another machine's parameter screen there's 72 pics (same model and make machine). The machine is a Hitachi Seiki HT-15 lathe. Hitachi Seiki went out of business in 2002.
Secios M16 II control