1761-net-dni setup

Holmzy

Hello

I am trying to set up a comunication between a controllogix Plc and a micrologix 1500

I have installed a 1756-dnb and connected it to a 1761-net-dni

I have the devicenet setup and can connect to the micrologix through controlnet from my pc but have the addressing setup wrong

I am missing something in the setup of the parameters in the DNI or the dnb not sure which.

Does anyone have any info on this type of setup.

I tryed tech support but they have not replyed

The User Manual does give a working exaxmple of configuring this device.

If you would like to have Forum users review your configuration, you will have to post the configuration. Ideally, upload the configurations from the 1756-DNB and the 1761-NET-DNI and post the resulting RSNetworx for DeviceNet *.DNT file here.

Are you getting an error code on the 1756-DNB, or is the data from the MicroLogix just not showing up where you expect it in the 1756-DNB ?

If that *.DNT file that you sent me is correct, then:

Problem #1 is that the Net-DNI is at its default parameter settings. With the defaults configured, it will allow you to "bridge" through with RSLogix to monitor the MicroLogix and upload/download from it, but it won't perform the cyclic read/write feature that maps MicroLogix integer register data into the DeviceNet Slave connection.

Problem #2 is that you've configured both a Polled and Change-of-State connection in the 1756-DNB for this Net-DNI, of 32 bytes Input and Output each. I recommend you stick with one connection type.

You also have some strange-looking Slave Mode connections configured in the 1756-DNB; are you just experimenting or is this really a Slave Mode project ?

What is your actual goal for this Net-DNI ?

1756-dnb to 1761-net-dni

Ken,

The purpose of the project is to interconnect a piece of equipment that is controlled by a Micrologix 1500 to a conveyor line that is controlled by a Logix 5000 processor

The DND is located in a remote rack of the 5000 plc and is connected to the micrologix with the DNI

I would like to set it up to control I/O in each

or at least send interlock information from the conveyor to the machine and from the machine back

I am attaching an example of the Net-DNI reading and writing from N7 in the MicroLogix controller.

The Net-DNI will read N7:0-15 and place those into Slot4:I.Data[0]-[7] in the ControlLogix.

The Net-DNI will write Slot4:O.Data[0]-[7] to N7:16-31 in the MicroLogix controller.

You have to set Parameter 12 (enable data polling) to Disabled before downloading the DNI parameters, then set it back to Enabled.

You also have to write a Handshake routine in the ControlLogix. It can just be one rung, using one XIC and one OTE instruction to mirror the value of Slot4:I.Data[0].7 to Slot4:O.Data[0].7. This lets the Net-DNI know that the ControlLogix is successfully reading its data and that it can continue to read and write the Integer file.

This isn't a tested example, but it should work.

Ken,

Tried the new settings and now DNB is iddle and sending a
node 1 error #84

The DNI now looks to be recieving data but it is not displayed where expected

the I/o light is flashing on the DNB

If the 1756-DNB is showing "IDLE" it just means that it has not been put into RUN mode.

Because you are using a very small amount of data (at least in what you've shown me) and you have to transmit this across a ControlNet network, I strongly recommend making the I/O size of the 1756-DNB in the ControlLogix I/O tree much smaller than the standard 128 DINTs Input and Output. Those can end up choking your ControlNet.

Instead, let's change the I/O size to just 32 DINTs in each direction. That's small enough to fit in most ControlNet schedules and happens to match the Status connection size.

Once you have that I/O connection created and Scheduled, set the 1756-DNB's Command word RUN bit = 1 to place the 1756-DNB into RUN mode.

If the Scanner still shows Status code 84 for the Net-DNI, we'll investigate that next. That's a Handshake error that is common with the Net-DNI if you haven't done the handshaking logic correctly, but you need to take care of the IDLE mode first.

Last edited:
Here are a pair of screenshots to illustrate the configuration of the 1756-DNB in the Remote Rack, and the recommended ladder logic to handle the DNB Run command, the Handshake, and the data type conversion between DINT and INT.

attachment.php

attachment.php

DNI_Logic.png DNB_in_Remote_Rack.jpg

Ken,

DNB is now in run mode no faults but I am getting

a error 86 from node 01

I am assuming this is a handshake issue but have tried

and can not get it to work

Yes, it's the Handshake logic.

Do you have Parameter 12 enabled to run the data polling ?

Have you added the handshake logic rung as shown above ?

Post your *.ACD and *.DNT files or screenshots from them.

Ken,

Also I am getting a module Identity mismatch on the DNB

I have still not been able to get the handshake to work

Would it be better if I tried a msg between the processors?

Last edited: