Redlion G3 - Compactlogix Bug

Marc_U

Lifetime Supporting Member
I think I have found a serious tag addressing problem with the latest version of Crimson 3, when you linking to a Compactlogix PLC.

I am converting an existing G3 program from linking to an Allen-Bradly SLC PLC program to Compactlogix PLC.

When I discovered that my alarms tags (which use Bit Array Little-Endian, extract their respective alarm bits from the alarm word), longer listed in "Bit Number" a number ranging from 0 to 15, but instead I had a choice of three Tag names.

The three tags-names seem to be the names of the first 3 tags that I altered in the list.

I have repeated from a fresh untouched program, and the problem reoccurs.

It seems that when you address a Flag Tag to a Compactlogix BOOL tag, seems to corrupt the "Bit Number" list replacing the selection of 0 - 15 numbers, with the Compactlogix BOOL tag.

I have attached word document showing the problem.

Is there any way to stop this, as the project I am working on is time-critical, and I can't afford to loose any time on time?
🤞🏻🔨🤞🏻

Last edited:
Just a quick additional bug:
When I use the Communication Driver "Allen-Bradley - Native Tags via L5k file" as I go down the Tag list, attaching the G3 HMI tags to their Compactlogix Tags, and then go back and double check them, I find that they no longer linked to the tags that I assigned but to different ones regardless to whether they are BOOL, DINT, or REAL format tags.

I have tried to use Bit Array Little-Endian and it always seemed to cause issues so I make sure all of mine are Bit Array Big-Endian.

Give that a try and see if it fixes your issue

Marc when you import tags make sure you only do it under the communication tab DO NOT DO IT UNDER THE TAG TAB. When you link them under the tag alot of them get unlinked.

Been there done that problem. I only use the import under the communication tab.

Jeff is right, you should always import tags via the communications section.

Hi Jeremy,
RedLion has been aware of this problem for a very long time now. It cost me a great deal of grief and rework over a year ago. Why has this not been fixed, or at least the Load button on the tag tabs removed?

Hi Jeremy,
RedLion has been aware of this problem for a very long time now. It cost me a great deal of grief and rework over a year ago. Why has this not been fixed, or at least the Load button on the tag tabs removed?
I wonder the same...

Wow. When I created a new app with a G3 and a Compactlogix, I chose a few generic arrays to map between them, and used one UDT from a Hardy scale module.

Once I had the map of tgas how I wanted them, I started writing the control logic and tweaked a few things. I had trouble with the import, but Notepad++ and Jeremy got me past that with a phone call. So when I got the import to work, I had everything...too much stuff. So I created a dummy folder and made a copy of teh .acd file. I opened it, unscheduled the ladders, deleted all of them, and then I deleted all tags not needed by the HMI. I then used that as a basis for my G3 file.

I have edited the heck out of the .acd file since then and added a lot of features to the G3 too, but the interface is just a UDT or handful of generically named arrays with plenty of spares built in.

HMI_F[0-99]
HMI_D[0-249]
HMI_LBS_Graph_Y(0-319)
etc.

I do also have a UDT left in the export file for the scale module as another tag since it is very tidy in conjunction with using the scale module custom IT (integrated technician) options from an HMI, but luckily, I got everything I wanted renamed before I committed that last rebuild to the dummy folder for import. I think if I were to rename the UDT or change it in any way, I may break that reference to it in the G3. So, I need to mark those tags or comment them to indicate that connection needs to rebuilt on both ends if edited.

Last edited:
Jeff is right, you should always import tags via the communications section.

Would you be able to send me your file? [email protected]
I am unable to reproduce the problem here.

Thanks
Jeremy

The problem seems to have vanished for the moment.

But I was using the import tage under the tags section, as well as the Communication section, so maybe it was corrupting something.

If I can get it repeatable, I will let you know.
:unsure:
Marc

The problem seems to have vanished for the moment.

But I was using the import tage under the tags section, as well as the Communication section, so maybe it was corrupting something.

If I can get it repeatable, I will let you know.
:unsure:
Marc

This same thing has happened to many of us. It is inconsistent when it happens. I did a lot of work offline one day, and was saving often as I went. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it had scrambled my tags after many hours and many saves.

Sorry for the delay in getting this resolved. I just got word that the resolution for this has been moved into development so we should see a fix soon.

Thanks
Jeremy