SBR Rung Out Instruction Error

WCD_BWDG

I feel like a complete dunce asking this question, but I can't find any information pertaining to it in the instruction manuals or online.

I'm passing a DINT parameter via JSR to my SBR and getting:
Error: Rung 0: Missing output instruction. because I have no idea what to use as my output instruction. In example code and in the instruction manual there is an OTE following the SBR, but I just don't get it. What is the point of an output following the SBR? Can't I just pass my DINT in to the routine and be done with it? I have no reason to output anything on the first rung, no logic to support it.

I can MOV the DINT parameter into itself to satisfy the error but that just seems silly...I would appreciate some guidance on this. I'm super frustrated.

Just put a dummy coil on the SBR rung, or put the SBR on the first rung of the code inside the routine.

The SBR requires that an output instruction exist on the rung along with it, which is another reason to omit it entirely unless passing parameters in which case, you have to follow its rule which is probably a legacy of older controllers.

Originally posted by OkiePC:

The SBR requires that an output instruction exist on the rung along with it, which is another reason to omit it entirely unless passing parameters in which case, you have to follow its rule which is probably a legacy of older controllers.

The SBR is an input instruction. Logix won't let you accept a rung with just a contact on it either.

If you are passing a parameter into a subroutine you will presumably have at least one output instruction esulting from processing the data you are passing. AB needed to make the thing something and it seems pretty reasonable (IMHO) that it be an input instruction.

Keith

The SBR is an input instruction. Logix won't let you accept a rung with just a contact on it either.

If you are passing a parameter into a subroutine you will presumably have at least one output instruction esulting from processing the data you are passing. AB needed to make the thing something and it seems pretty reasonable (IMHO) that it be an input instruction.

Keith

Yes, it makes sense to me just the way it is.

But, like having multiple OTE in series, it is probably something that could have been allowed (SBR by itself) in RSLogix5000, except that we really don't want or need another exception to the rules of behavior among the A/B product families' instructions which are named the same.