RS5K changing tag names

robw53

we have a flour and oil dosing system which has all its tags etc in french, i have converted them all in google translate and i am just wanting to seek some advice before i commit myself to going through editing all the tags to english.

should i just be able to go through all my tags renaming them and the code updates as i change the tags, and then download the program back into the processor, or is there any potential problems i may need to be aware of when doing this.

it also has a PV 300 on devicenet connected to it to display silo weights, current seqeunce, etc will i need to change anything in that?

FYI

1769-L31 Processor

cheers

Rob

When you edit a tagname, the change ripples through the logic and gets updated - ie you shouldn't have to change any logic.

If the PV300 is of the plus series, you'll have to go through the PV300 tag database and update the names with the changes. If the PV300 is a standard, you may or may not have to depending on if you renamed the SLC style tags in RS5K.

(I'm pretty sure I got that last bit right)

Last edited:
Right click on any instance of a tag name in either the program or the tag list and choose edit tag properties and just rename the tag. All instances of the tag will automatically change. You do not have to necessarily rename tags offline, you can edit the name online. What you cannot do online is rename elements in any UDTs or AOIs.

thats great news, the reason i said offline was because its a monster program and the area were the panel is i don't want to spend hours in, but thankyou for reassuring me.

regards

Rob

A new behavior (at least new to me) that I see in v19 is that if a PV+ (or other device) is reading a tag via Ethernet/IP, the s/w won't let me delete or change the name of a tag while online.

:)

thanks both of you.

I only have one app written from scratch with RSLogix5000, and the HMI tags are generically named arrays not likely to ever need tampering with, but it is something I wondered about.