siemens s5 qvz led blinks??

marq

Is it dangerous anyhow? it lits when the plc is on but the controlprogram that runs the system does seem to make eny errors on run allthought the qvz led is blinking??

Only booted up the plc and the control computer, but it works i think im not sure if it always have blinked, does the timeout mean the slow connection between the computer to plc ?

marq said:
does the timeout mean the slow connection between the computer to plc ?

Is that what you get when you try to go online with Step5?

That means that there is no comms between your PC and the PLC. The program has 'timed out' attempting to establish a connection between the PC and the PLC.
Unplug the comms lead from the PLC and plug it back it and re-try.

Paul

Hi,

I'm not sure... a timeout error between PC <--> PLC is
shown on the screen, but the QVZ-LED too???, I can't remember.
To handle this error you have to create the OB23.

This following text is from a S5-115U manual:

Response to timeout in the case of direct I/O access
The following operations can result in timeout: L PB; LPW; T PB; T PW; LIR; TIR; TNB.
The timeout (QVZ) error occurs if a module fails to acknowledge within 160 µs of being
accessed. The cause may be a program error, a defect in the module or the removal of
the module during the RUN mode. The operating system stores the absolute module
address at which the QVZ occurred in system data word 103 (EACEH) and calls OB23. If
OB23 does not exist, the CPU goes to STOP with QVZ.

HTH

Rolf

Have you changed any wiring, swapped modules or changed your program? The light can blink if you trying to access a module that does exist or needs power connected or a defective module or if the hardware has been changed. Have you checked the I-Stack or B-stack dianostics?

RolfB said:
Hi,

HTH

Rolf
only the qvz ed, but manual says that it has somethig to do with the timeout?
anyway i want to know is it dangerous, but it seems not to be dangerous for the functioning of our program? am i right?

RolfB said:
Hi,

HTH

Rolf
o oy the qz ed, but maua ay that it has somethig to do with the timeout?
anyway i want to know is it dangerous, but it seems not to be dangerous for the functioning of our program? am i right?

Marq,

Yes you're right, I remembered what my problem was a few years ago. I replaced an digital input card with a profibus card. The profibus card has to be placed with in the first 7 places in rack 0 (Siemens!!). Everything worked nice but the only thing that blinked was the QVZ led.

Rudi

hi.. Rolf..
I have also the qvz led flashing to fast and i was thinking that can be because i dint conect any device to the analog inputs. is it right ?
my plc is 135u and is runing...

thanks...

From my re-collections of S5, a QVZ error will result in OB23 being called. If OB23 just does a block end, then the plc will carry on running despite the QVZ error. This means that any QVZ error will now be ignored. If your process can afford for any module to fail to respond and not do its job then its safe.

I would remove OB23 which will make the CPU stop, track down the error from the stacks and either correct the hardware problem or remove the software that is accessing the i/o.