Ethernet Drive Control

shahn4

Does anyone had a practical experience with controlling AB Flex 700 drives on Ethernet through Control Logix plc?
I am working on job involving 20HP, 150HP (100HP Future), a panelview plus and two logix processors on a switch.
Is it worth trying without getting bog down?

I would GUESS that the system would run ok, especially if you use a decent Ethernet switch, and not some $200 cheapie.

It is interesting to observe that if you were asking the same question about a ControlNet setup, someone could give you a deterministic answer....but with this setup there are too many bits of string of unknown length.

I have used the Flex 70's on Remote I/O very sucessfully...I am only controlling airlocks and powder flow via PID loops on PLC 5.

If you are using these drives for Motion control, I would be a bit worried as regular ethernet is not deterministic... little collissions will delay reactions...

My original plan is to use DC AB 1395 through remote I/O and 1395 don’t have Ethernet.
However I am planning to use panelview plus with Ethernet capabilities with control logix processor. I thought perhaps using flex700 will save me remote I/O and I could talk to drive through Ethernet.
Since these two drives follow one another, I am skeptical about trying Ethernet. With exception of E-Stop, I would like to use all other discrete I/O’s on either remote I/O or Ethernet.