S7 300 Encoder Counter

HarleyRay0

Hi,
I am new here and a novice to programming, I want to connect an incremental encoder to a Siemens PLC CPU 313C-DP for the purpose of measuring the over travel on a conveyor belt after it is signalled to stop. I have set up a test program to run the belt forwards and backwards for a maximum of 200 stops.
Could someone tell me an easy way to log the counts for each of these stops and the simplest way to connect the encoder which has a pulse count of 3600? I am not expecting the count to be high as the drive motor is braked.
Encoder data sheet attached.

Hi HarleyRay0.

The PDF does not show exactly what each pin on the encoder does.
I think you have to connect GND (0v), Ub (24V from counter module), A (1st channel on counter module) and B (2nd channel on counter module).

I use the 1 COUNT module 6ES7138-4DA04-0AB0 for ET200S. There are several modes of operation (once-only, endless, periodic, speed, period, position feedback) so you should check the manual carefully, and choose the one that suits you best.

Thanks Jesper,

I was going to use the onboard counter of the 313C which uses a digital input card on the station, but the 6ES7138-4DA04-0AB0 may be a good alternative.