Factory Talk Parameter Tags

AshleyParr

Hey guys,

Just having a problem that i hope someone can help with. I'm using a pop up box & a parameter file to load the different tags.

I would like to set the visibility of a few items depending on the name of the tag,
e.g. #1 = "Transfer", i would like to show a button if #1 = "Transfer"

I have tried a few different ways but not having any luck, i know i can use the literal string of the tag in a text box but i cant seem to find a way to use it in the animation.

Hope someone can help,
Ash

Animation expressions, when you have a parameter placeholder, will pass the value of the tag you used, so for example:
If parameter file reads #1=Transfer, and the value stored in Transfer is "CNV123", an animation expression of <<#1=="Transfer">> would translate as <<"CNV123"=="Transfer">>, which will be false.

So with your current setup, you would have to know the value of the tag you used for #1, and hide based on that value rather than the tag name itself.
Your expression would have to read:
If #1=="CNV123"or #1=="Conveyor 3" then
else

This would work if you can just hide based on the value of the tag itself. There is another way I can describe if this doesn't help

Last edited:
Sorry i dont know if i explained myself fully there.

The place holder #1 is replaced by"Transfer" which relates to a UDT in my code.

So my tags in the pop up are #1.Start, #1.Stop & once that parameter file is loaded they become Transfer.Start, Transfer.Stop

On the pop up i am using the place holder to show a title,but using a it in a text box as a literal string /*LS:0 {#1}*/

What i need to happen is in the Visibility for the button, when #1 = "Transfer" the button is visible. I cant seem to find a way to check the tag name that replaces the place holder (#1)

I cant seem to find a way to check the tag name that replaces the place holder (#1)
Yes, you have very limited ASCII character manipulation functions. I never use character-based string tags for that reason, just numbers (where I can use the arithimetic functions + - * and /) and logical bits (where I can use the logical operators AND, OR, and so on).

You could first convert "Transfer" to a number in your PLC program.

Last edited:
Sorry i dont know if i explained myself fully there.

The place holder #1 is replaced by"Transfer" which relates to a UDT in my code.

So my tags in the pop up are #1.Start, #1.Stop & once that parameter file is loaded they become Transfer.Start, Transfer.Stop

On the pop up i am using the place holder to show a title,but using a it in a text box as a literal string /*LS:0 {#1}*/

What i need to happen is in the Visibility for the button, when #1 = "Transfer" the button is visible. I cant seem to find a way to check the tag name that replaces the place holder (#1)
I see now...
Don't know how to do what you are asking, but I know a way around it.
Create string memory tags for the various tag names you would have, for example:
Transfer_name, initial value "Transfer"
Conveyor_name, initial value "Conveyor"
Then, for each parameter file, define placeholder #2=Transfer_name, or #2=Conveyor_name, matching the tag name you used for #1.
Your animation would then read as you have it, except using #2

Thanks guys,

i already am using other local tags with a default number or string in but was just seeing if anyone knew how to manipulate the placeholder tag.

Never mind :)