Micrologix 1400 ethernet

VaMike

Picked up a new 1400 with analog I/O. It's a series A and the ethernet seems to be limited to only a web interface. Trying to read through the manuals and it seems to have a real ethernet port I needed a series B. Can someone confirm this.
Also, if true, what was the purpose of such a limited ethernet interface on series A.
Thanks,
Mike

The Ethernet functions of the MicroLogix 1400 Series B are expanded (Modbus/TCP and DNP3.0 over IP and a handful of other features) but the core functionality of upload/download/monitoring/editing and MSG instruction processing are the same as Series A.

MicroLogix 1400 is a very popular controller and A-B stopped shipping Series A units from stock about a year ago, so I'm surprised you got a Series A off the shelf.

There are some hardware changes in the Series B controller that prevent the Series B firmware from being loaded on the Series A controllers. The last firmware release for the MicroLogix 1400 Series A was FRN 7.