CompactLogix Firmware Update

juanmdx

Hello,

I've a question, if I upgrade the firmware of a CompactLogix, will I lose all the information in it?, I don't have a backup and I need to get online, but in order to do so I need to upgrade the firmware of it.

I think some else has a backup of it, but since is an older version, I don't know if I'm going to be able to open it...

Thanks and best regards

Juan

Yes you will lose everything. Get a backup first from the PLC. You can use the old file as a basis (to get comments), but I would not rely on it to have all the current data table values that are in the machine today.

Even if you have to find a PC with an older OS to install older versions, I strongly suggest getting online with the running machine to perform a fresh upload and save before wiping it out.

Last edited:
If I can get the older backup (created on rslogix 13.04) will I'll be able to open it on my rslogix V16??

You can load older versions of RSLogix 5000 onto your computer to support upload from the older controller.

Versions 10 through 19 can be installed simultaneously. If you got RSLogix 5000 on DVD, they're all on the media and can be installed automatically.

If you are downloading RSLogix 5000 from RA, you need to manually download and install the correct version to match your installed controller.

When you open a v13 file with v16, it will be converted to v16 (and a copy in v13 format will be saved).

Once it's been converted to v16, you cannot load it onto a v13 controller.

The basic principle:

RSLogix 5000 Version 12.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 12.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 13.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 13.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 15.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 15.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 16.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 16.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 17.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 17.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 18.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 18.x
RSLogix 5000 Version 19.x = ControlLogix Firmware Revision 19.x

But if I don't have older (or newer) versions, can I open a backup created on a different (older) version?

you will not know if it is the latest running project if you do not upload it from the controller!! if you have a backup that you think is the program try and open it it should convert but i would not flash the firmware until you know for sure you have the current running program!!! unless you are sure you can write a new one from scratch. read kens post its not hard to load the older venisons

If the PLC has a flash card (with the current program on it), can I take it, upgrade the firmware to my Rslogix, and then insert the flash and the PLC will work as before?