AddOn in RS5000 version 19

AddOns in CLX is not possible to edit online, from what i understand. Does anyone know any "work around" in this area. I would like to edit in AddOns without stopping the CPU.

I would appreciate any help.

Regards /Mats

Mats,

Add On Instructions (AOI's) cannot be modified online, and there is no work around.

Add on instructions shouldn't really need to be modified. Any AOI's which I write are tested to destruction in the office before being deployed into the field.

Mark

As others will certainly disagree with me, I too would like the ability to edit AOI online. The best you could do is create a new version of the AOI and import that. Then do a manual replacement of all the instances that you need. You cannot delete the old AOI online even if it's not being used.

If you need to edit the code online then I suggest you use a subroutine with parameter passing.

AOIs are intended for fully debugged code that you do not anticipate changing. The SCP AOI that you can download from the Rockwell website is a good example of that kind of AOI app.

Mark.

Emulate may not let you do it but if you are online with an L6x processor you most certainly can do an online AOI import.

🍺

No you can't do it with that version. I think version 17 added that functionality. I'm using version 19.

I have just tried all versions after 16

V16 - No online AOI import.
V17 through V19 - online imports allowed.

As they say you learn something new everyday :)

Mark

Mats,

Add On Instructions (AOI's) cannot be modified online, and there is no work around.

Add on instructions shouldn't really need to be modified. Any AOI's which I write are tested to destruction in the office before being deployed into the field.

Mark

I test mine also. My customers however have requested additional functionality of Control Modules in the past.

So while you test to destruction sometimes it is beyond your control.

I have had to import new add ons(>V16) on quite a number of occasions. Quite a pain in the arse but it can be done.

When you have tested to import AddOns (version >16)did you,
- get the pop up window that said you already have a add on by that name and if you would like to use / replace the one in the priject?
- have you tried it "on emulate" (i don't have a CPU in the office...yet)?
/Mats

Mats,

You do get the option to replace or use existing, but the AOI you are importing must have a different name otherwise you will get the following errors.

Mark

Errors.jpg