Starting a project using SCADA HMI and Beckhoff CX1010.

Jeancg

I'm starting a new project HMI on the company where I work, where I develop modules for system events, plotting graphs, trends, and persistence of data in the database, I use Beckhoff PLCs cx1010 and I intend to make use of the protocol for ADS make communication with my PLC HMI.

I would like the opinion of more experienced users of the forum on which technology should I use to develop my software.

I am a Java developer, but searching the Internet on the ADS did not think much about ADS and Java.

DotNet would be better to use this type of project?

I would like the opinion of the forum users who have had contact with this type of protocol and equipment from Beckhoff.

Thank you.

I have absolutely no experience with Beckhoff ADS, but on beckhoffs website about ADS it says:

The TwinCAT interface for programming languages (Visual Basic, Visual C, Delphi, Java ...) does not just offer links to I/O data, but also full access to the methods of the PLC/NC run-time server (start, stop, etc.). Data connection with TwinCAT servers takes place via the message system. This way, Windows program data can be exchanged with all registered TwinCAT servers around the world. ADS data exchange can be managed transparently via different physical transport routes: TCP, UDP, fieldbus, EtherCAT, serial, SOAP. ADS components are available for the following areas of implementation: DLL, OCX, VB Script, J Script, .NET assembly, Java, web service. The TwinCAT ADS monitor acts as a debugging and diagnostic tool. All ADS components are available free-of-charge.
If you go to the site below, then there are some documents regarding ADS:
http://beckhoff.de/english/download/software.htm?id=159876032042892
There are two documents pertaining to ADS with .NET.

Hi JesperMP.

Thanks for the reply.

Beckhoff has a really great support for protocol development with the ADS.

With respect to Java as a technology for development using the Beckhoff I'm a little afraid because I am working on another project with a PLC Moller/Eaton CX201 and I'm having a lot of trouble finding a opensource driver to work properly.

And this project can not run the risk of falling into the wrong choice, I have a very short period to develop the HMI so I try to minimize development time, but leaving aside the quality of the product.

I have two weeks to conduct tests, I test both Java and DotNet before making this choice.

Thank you again.

Try the TwinCAT ADS Communication Library :

http://www.beckhoff.com/english/download/supplement_com.htm

It has a range of drivers for different development platforms.

Also AdvancedHMI includes a driver for ADS communications with TwinCAT and is written for .NET, it can give you a big jump start on writing your own HMI.
Hi Archie thanks.

Thanks for the link Advanced HMI project, will certainly help me a lot I will test it this week yet.

Then put back my results here.

Thank you again.

How to read variable values from HMI in beckhoff PLC

Dear Sir,
I want to read the variables values coming from HMI in beckhoff PLC in structure text. Please give some instruction to fetch that data from HMI and to use that data in PLC program.

Thanks in advance.

Dear Kalyani,

Theoretically you need the HMI variables as source that linked Beckhoff PLC register or set point instruction/script to write the value into Beckhoff PLC register.

Most HMI can do that..try Archie suggested

Dear Loqz,
thank you for your valuable reply. I got the variables. will you please help me regarding the generation of m-code in twincat 3 PLC??

I want to generate M-code in Twincat3 PLC program. For example my M-code is M100 and I want to write a latch function in it. will any one please give me some sample program for generating this M-code and also please suggest, how we are going to add this function, so that my NC program can get it.
It will be huge help. Thank you in advance.