Attention Instrument Guys!!!!

firebrd10

I have been given the task of figuring out how much power some pieces of equipment in our plant use. I know I can calculate the power using nameplates and voltages and ..... But I was looking for a piece of equipment that I can hook up to record the data. The only data that I am truely concerned with is Power usage spikes (Max instant KW) and KWH. Basically we want to hook this thing up and forget about it for a few days then go back and read the values. It would also be helpful if this unit had clamp on type probes and was not hardwired.

Does anyone know of a device that can do this.

We are looking at 480V equipment pulling up to 600Amps.

I would hate to have to steal the meter off the side of a building somewhere. LOL

Tim

Dranetz, BMI, and others make loggers for this purpose but they are very expensive. If you know of any company involved with 'power quality' (or perhaps your local electric utility) they may be able to do some short term monitoring for a fee.

gil

The easiest way would be to use a kWatt transducer into a digital storage CRO. For permanenet connection I normally run these into my PLC and then read out to the SCADA system and trend the information.
beerchug

Sure there are several suppliers for what you want, but for the large loads you are talking about you may want a true power meter which will take three clamps (current) plus a connection to the power terminal (voltage) for each phase so that it can calculate the power factor. I'll look up the vendor for that in a few minutes.

Darren

I have just checked some catalogues. Hioki have a very good system that is cheaper than the others in Ozz.
beerchug

The one I was thinking of is from Load Controls, Inc.

Their number is (508) 347-2606

Website is www.loadcontrols.com

Their largest unit is $850 (1000HP), but you will need to supply a chart recorder or interface(plc) to collect the data.

Darren

Last edited:
You might also look a GERents, or some of the other rental houses, the monthly price is not bad at all, and they come calibrated, which is a plus. I have used them for a few plant surveys in the past. Another source is the TVA, if you are in their service area...they will bend over backwards to help you out...it's part of their mandate. I would be happy to put you in touch with the folks I deal with here in Bowling Green...Just drop me a PM or a email.

David

Last edited:
We here at the mill had to do some power surveys here at the mill to justify the use of freq. drives in place of across the line starters on some bigger effluent pumps and we borrowed some clamp on data recorders from the local Public Utilities Dept. Then we bought 3 of our own. I might be worth a phone call.

Power Monitoring Equipment

Electro Industries has "Smart" meters that do exactly what you're looking for. They can record and store a mass of data (voltage, current, pf, and more) and display too. They're a lot less than the other products mentioned. (I do not work for Electro Industries, just excited about what I've learned about their metering equipment).

There are often companies that will rent this equipment for a reasonable price. This may be a better bet than buying, unless you plan to continuously monitor the plant.
With the rental companies, you often just tell them what you want, and they will work out the best piece of equipment to give you. And if it works well, you can often buy it.

Effectively, try before you buy.

Hope this helps,

Doug

The Fluke 43B Power Quality Analyzer may be the ticket.. I have this toy and it does what you need.. Has a dual trace o-scope, harmonic analysis, AC/DC volts and amps (1000VDC/1000Amps RMS), printer option, endless logging, etc

If you are willing to pay $2200, you will have great tool....

dash, above, recommended three phase monitoring and i would agree, if you are looking to measure the power in 'spikes'. BTW, I wonder exactly what you mean by spikes / why you are truly interested in that data? Really short-lived spikes shouldn't have much impact on kWh or kW demand billing, and shouldn't strain the ampacities of your distribution (could trip protective breaker/fuse/relay though i guess). What duration of spikes are you interested in? Is it up in the range of LOTS of seconds or several minutes or more? If so, single phase measuring is probably ok as long as you know the load is balanced. Note that three phase measuring can give you power data AS WELL AS give you some confirmation that things are hunky-dory (currents and voltages are balanced, ground current is nice and low, etc.).

gil

Smart Power Transducers

For a mid-range priced transducers a company based in Canada called PML manufactures a wide range of permanent power transducers. They also have instruments for demand control (automatic load shedding to limit power consumption).

All of their products has either as standard or as an option modbus communications via serial or ethernet. The higher-end products have datalogging functions included so you won't need additional hardware. Although datalogging is via propietery software data exchange is available via OPC or DDE.

Square-D has a pricier line of transducers like PowerLogic but I believe they have a more proprietary protocol that would require you to use Modicon/Square-D PLC and SCADA software.