O.T. Resume spelling

bulletin blues

Lifetime Supporting Member
O.T. Another silly resume question. ArchestrA or Archestra? When it comes to the importance of typos' I feel that I'm in the wrong field. Should I type PowerFlex or Powerflex? DeviceNet or Devicenet? Does the H.R. person look at this like I don't know how to use CAPS, or do they look at it like I know what I'm actually talking about? I'm trying to tighten up my resume, and I'm not sure how H.R. approaches this.

Thanks Plcs.net!

Last edited:
Lampshade the intended capitalization by including a ® or ™

ArchestrA®
PowerFlex®

You can type ® by holding down the alt key and entering 0174 on you keypad. ™ is ALT 0153

MSWord will auto convert (r) to ®

When I interview people for a position in my Department, the first thing I see of them is their resume. I look it over for spelling and, to a point, grammar. I am by no means an expert linguist but glaring mistakes on a document like a resume should be corrected before submission--because the resume leaves SOME kind of impression.

There are too many programs like Excel that spell check for you so mistakes in spelling are nearly unforgiveable. As far as vendor-specifics like you mentioned, that company's website will spell it correctly so the author should do his legwork before sending a poorly spelled, poorly-stated resume.

Take the time to send a good resume so someone else will spend the time considering an interview.

But, of course, that wasn't a resume. (Don't know how to type the little thingy above the e's, I know it's an Alt something but I don't even know which it is.) "Rèsumè" - thanks to a little Goggling.

But, with employers looking at prospective applicant's online presence, it might be better to use care, at least in anything to do with scholarly submission or technical applications, possibly like here.

But, of course, that wasn't a resume. (Don't know how to type the little thingy above the e's, I know it's an Alt something but I don't even know which it is.) "Rèsumè" - thanks to a little Goggling.

But, with employers looking at prospective applicant's online presence, it might be better to use care, at least in anything to do with scholarly submission or technical applications, possibly like here.

you never know you may find someone who has gained thier knowledge by getting other people to do it for them.

Lampshade the intended capitalization by including a ® or ™

ArchestrA®
PowerFlex®

You can type ® by holding down the alt key and entering 0174 on you keypad. ™ is ALT 0153

MSWord will auto convert (r) to ®

Nice

+1 one to what Rube said. If you're to fooking lazy to spell check your resume' you have no business using a computer for money.

O.K.
Rockwell calls it FlexPak. This doesn't work with any spell check I've ever used, much less flexpak. They are both incorrect spellings for common terms.

Thanks Alaric, for the lampshade tip. I guess that was the question I was asking, although not in a completely comprehensive way.

Rube, why did you capitalize "Department?"

Again, the proper way that the company (Rockwell) spells FlexPak is FlexPak.

Rube, you didn't post the e's "thingy" on resume in your reply. Maybe, you figured everyone would get the "gist" of what you were thinking, as I was.

Bernie, why did you put the e "thingy" thing above the first e in resume. I believe it only belongs on the last "e?" I could be wrong here, but I believe the first vowel is not pronounced like "a".

Iant, there seems to be a comma missing from your original statement, "You never know, there may be..."

Okie, ouch! That kinda hurt. I think you put a single quote where you should have put the e thingy.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Lesson learned.

bulletin blues said:
Okie, ouch! That kinda hurt. I think you put a single quote where you should have put the e thingy.

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Lesson learned.

Lol, no, I wasn't direct my comment at you. I should have been more careful. You obviously have gone farther than spell check and into 2nd guessing proper names, which is far beyond some of the resume's that I have seen. I remember one that had four alleged paragraphs and zero complete sentences, basic transposition typos and everything. The sad part? he emailed it to us as a .doc file which means all his mistakes were underlined in red before he sent it...c'mon peeps!

It's not a stupid question. I have wondered the same thing, but never worried about it when it came to proper names. The guys I have interviewed with know that RSLogix500 is the same thing as rslogix 500, and my biography paragraph is grammatically "good enough" with no mechanical grammar problems and no mis-spellings.

I applaud you for asking the question, because I had no idea I could do the ALT thingy, so I learned something...sorry for being so tacky...

Let me state up front that I'm only answering BB questions--I am not getting testy, lol.

I capitalized "Department" in my post because, in my weird way, I think that a group of people I respect and work with daily deserve a little extra. I usually refer to them as the Maintenance Department and I honestly typed it here out of habit.

I'm glad you got the gist of "resume"--I knew everyone would.

When I originally posted, I spelled the word "I" with a lower-case "i", about which Steve promptly (and correctly) notified me. I had reread my post and was editing it when he posted. He was faster than I.

Lastlee; i Usualy us EXCell four riting ledders thatt nede 2 be dun coreckly an It wood allllow mE to spel FlexPak aneeway i wanna. IT WOUld remin me butt.;/.,-- it wood lett me...

Rube said:
I capitalized "Department" in my post because, in my weird way, I think that a group of people I respect and work with daily deserve a little extra. I usually refer to them as the Maintenance Department and I honestly typed it here out of habit.

I do the same thing in emails to sort of subliminally team build and emphasize things like Quality and Safety, and Production Totals. It's a show of respect, and the reader will automatically assign his or her understanding of the meaning of capitalization which in all cases means at least a little bump up in attention and respect.

BTW, contrayr to teh actionz at hte enz of my ditigs (dexters, fingres), those anodes and cathodes get rusty in spots, to the timeing is awfl.

Butt...I wS IN THE 5TH FRADE THE 20th best speller in the state of Oklahoma. I still have the letter of Congratulations from David Boren (then Governor).

I choked in front of the T.V> on the word ragamuffin. I GNU HOW TO SPELL IT, buTT i suttterrreed on the second "A" and it came out sound ing llike a "Ea-s-A:...

I was so fudgeing glad to go sit with my parents and take off that tie, and be on the otehr side ot doze bwite lightz and that gigantic scary Camera with the BIG RED FLASHING LITE!"

piEace!

GO SOOOONERS!

My prayers and best wishes for the OSU Cowboy families who lost loves ones in the plane crash Thursday.

Paul