Panelview plus - read string tag from SLC-5/05

JimSandberg

Hi,

I have countless times tried to read a tag inside my SLC-5/05 with my panelview plus 1000.

I am trying to simply display the name of a product. It's nothing crutial but I can't just give up now.

Here are my details:

- A datafile called A39 in RSlogix500. The string i want to show is by length 5 bytes, starting from A39:0. (tag is called RCP_PARA_00)

I have no trouble importing this tag to Factorytalk view. My only concern is that it only imports as an analog type and the tag data is undefined.

Either way I can create a String display field and connect this tag to it.
What happens now is that I can only see the data from the first byte.

And so later I tried creating a new HMI tag from the factorytalk view software and define it as string (instead of analog) and to set the lenght to 5.

I then link this tag to A39:0. But it still comes out with the same result as before.

I'm guessing I manage to screw up somewhere along this way but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong!

Can someone explain the procedure of creating a string tag that can be connected properly to the SLC-5/05?

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Jim

From memory: look for something called Character Array to reference ascii addresses. Note that each "A" element is two characters.

Faiilng that, change the SLC to copy the "A" characters to a ST data element and read that as a string within factory talk.

I can't really find anything referring to any array in factorytalk view.

My big question is how do I reference A39:0, A39:1, A39:2, A39:3, A39:4 altogether in one HMI tag?

I'd first go create a tag in the tag browser in factorytalk view.

Name it "Name" for example.
Set the type to String
Length to 5

And then when I come to the address part, I just don't know what to write in this box.

I can write A39:0 but that only causes the string display to show the 2 letters that are in that byte.

Appreciate the quick answer!

EDIT: Ok now looking in RSlogix500 I wonder why oh why am I trying to read from an ascii data file when I could be reading from a string file instead?
Will investigate results!

Last edited: