Problem with PanelView+ and datalogging with a Logix Processor

agarb

A quick search of the archives didn't turn up anything, so I am posting this as it may help somebody else...

I discovered a problem with PV+ datalogging tags from a Logix processor. (In this case an -L32E.) I spent several hours and kept getting error messages on the PV diagnostic screen saying invalid tag type no matter what I did. I finally called tech support and discovered there is a known issue when using PV firmware 5.10.06 and communicating with Logix versions 18 or 19. Tech support told me to downgrade to 5.10.03 but I couldn't find the old firmware on the website and they were unable to find it for me. At the bottom of my post is the text from an email they sent me with the fix for the registry.

The disappointing thing about this issue is that there is no public tech note in the knowledgebase on this issue. Evidently there is a tech note available internally at A/B because they were able to diagnose my problem relatively quickly.

---------- Text from email fix ---------

WARNING (READ!!!!)
These files are a interim point solution for Limited Release Only. Please do not distribute these files unless permission has been given by the Product Manager or CST (Commercial Engineering).

Problems:

• Historical Trends are missing data due to Datalog Server starting before all tags are on scan
  • Other symptoms may include Startup macros and other global connection components not working correctly
Solution: The attached zip will fix the problem on CE V5.10.06. It cannot be applied to a V6.0 terminal.

The attached zip contains a registry change that will allow all data items required by the Machine Edition application to be put on scan and validated before the server components such as Datalog start.

NOTE: Important!

In some cases changing the ValidateTimeOut with the attached registry fix may cause the application to take longer to initialize and open the initial display with valid data items. This will only occur on startup while all data items validated.

Copy all of the files from the attached zip file onto the root of a USB thumb drive or Compact Flash card. The autorun.bat file is designed to determine if the files are located on a USB or CF automatically.

1. Shutdown any running ME application.
2. Insert the thumb drive into the terminal.
3. The autorun.bat file will update the registry; Close the prompt when the batch file completes.
4. Reboot the PanelView Plus