dumb questions from a newb

wrath

Hi everyone, first post. My story is I am a machine operator in manufacturing who has basically left with no person to train him any further, and although we do have some books, they stick to very basic setup and operation.

I have some questions that may seem quite ignorant and newbie, but I would appreciate any and all help I can get as I try to increase my understanding of the machines I am running.

First question is about Omrons....sorting machines

Does the cam positioner trigger the function when a fault is signaled at that degree? or does it send the information to the PLC which deals with signaling the function to occur? How do these two items work together?

Bonus question for those using Omron software etc....when I set expressions/judge.......where does the NG result go first...plc or cam positioner? How would I change which output is used to react to judge numbers 0-31? Older cam positioner with 8 outputs.

Thanks to anyone who wants to help, I am just trying to educate myself a little better.

Last edited:
BTW, I clearly see I am out of my league here, and I have no intention of trying to be a "regular" who asks simplistic and annoying questions on a daily basis.

Aside from anyone willing to answer some pretty basic questions, which I would be thankful for, I would also appreciate any thoughts on other sites my more basic questions would be more inline with the discussions.

It's not a bad question, it's just that it is so specific - Omron, used on sorting machines, with a specific part - a cam positioner - that a person with that specific level of experience may not be online to see your question quickly. If it were a more general question about Omron then more may be able to help. I'm sorry but I am not really knowledgable about Omrons in general so I can't even come close to helping.

Welcome though. I hope someone can give useful help soon. Be patient.

Thanks for the reply. Just seems there is some VERY advanced talk in this forum. I wasn't sure if my technician level question was out of place here, or if I even asked it correctly.

I will search through the archives etc, hopefully learn a few things, and be patient. Thanks again for the reply.

Does the cam positioner trigger the function when a fault is signaled at that degree? or does it send the information to the PLC which deals with signaling the function to occur? How do these two items work together?
As Bernie said, I can only give you some general guidance, not being familar with your cam positioner.

In general, the PLC will "know" all that is going on. This is usually necessary to allow the PLC to be in control of the process. If the Cam Positioner IS making an "external" decision, then most likely that infomation is passed along to the PLC. Most probably, the PLC is making the decisions, and the cam positioner is feeding information inputs to the PLC, and getting PLC decision outputs back.

most omron cam posititioners are seperate form the PLC they use direct I/O for additional control. These have normally 1 deg. accuracey.
I can not remember the fault status - normally didn't see a fault other than cable dammage.
I am fairly sure that the PLC does the additional controls needed.
Please post the part number for both PLC and Cam positioner