RSLinx all there but won't run

DairyBoy

Hello. I have a new pc running Win7. I'm using RS500, 5000, PBuilder, FTVME, RSLinx for Dnet. All these run ok, but when started -via shortcut- rslinx classic gives the tiniest blip on the hard drive light and doesn't run. It's a recent install (this month) when I migrated the others across. I have tried compatibility mode; no change. A look at it in explorer shows 147 files and 8 folders (does this sound right?) It won't run from explorer either. Any ideas appreciated, thanks.

That sound like RSLinx is running, as a service. You can stop that by going to launch control

uncheck.jpg

Last edited:
Mickey, are you saying that RSLinx shouldn't be run as a service on Windows 7 ?

Mickey, are you saying that RSLinx shouldn't be run as a service on Windows 7 ?

No, you can if you want. But if you don't know it's running you will get the results DairyBoy did.

The only place I let it run as a service is on a SCADA machine. For a programming PC/Laptop I don't want it starting and taking over
a port that I may want to use with other software.

Last edited:
OK - I've never had the need to not let it run as a service, generally it's only serial ports that it locks you away from, and there's not much call on serial ports these days....

I sure hope they fix this in later versions. I have a server with FTView SE, transaction manager and SQL. It sucks to need to go and uncheck the when I need to see topics and open up RS Who. I was running this on a server 2008.

I sure hope they fix this in later versions...

LOL! You're so funny!

You ever tried adding the driver for PCMK and accidentally selected PKTX when configuring it? Blues-screen city and the only way out of it is to reinstall or boot into safe mode and remove it. This has been around for years.

I always turn off "run as service" because this is required for using the PIC driver (even though I don't use it anymore).

One of the guys that I work with had the blue screen and reloaded windows. When I told him about safe mode fix he was less then thrilled. It must be a hard thing for Rockwell to fix. Thank god I have tech support or I would be lost trying to figure out software flaws!

To properly install RSlinx, you must have all admin privileges including those of a domain administrator (assuming the laptop resides on a Microsoft domain when logging in). So you may need your IT manager to install RSLinx. Then disable it running as a service. Now, it will run properly w/o the domain admin privileges. I ran into this just a couple of days ago.

No, you can if you want. But if you don't know it's running you will get the results DairyBoy did.

The only place I let it run as a service is on a SCADA machine. For a programming PC/Laptop I don't want it starting and taking over
a port that I may want to use with other software.

Yeah Thats right. Cant remember how many times i had to struggle to setup serial communication only to find my rslinx was using it