More than one Devicenet master

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are invloved with a project where we and another integrator must use the same AB supplied Devicenet MCC. Both of us have separate 1756-DNB cards configured as the devicenet master.
Question is, can two devicenet masters connect to the same DNET trunk.
We will both have unique node addresses and will not be controlling the same motor.

Yes, this will work.

You usually want to set the Inter-Scan Delay a little higher than default so there's enough bandwidth for the scanners to share, but this is one of the by-design features of DeviceNet that works very well.

Just a little more info than Ken provided....

DeviceNet was designed to allow more than one "master", and in that context we specifically mean more than one "scanner". It is perfectly acceptable to have more than one scanner on a single DeviceNet network.

However, you may run into problems if a device on the network is included in the scan-list of multiple scanners. Unless you must "share" devices on the network (and we can only share input data, an advanced concept), then it is essential to ensure each scanner only has relevant devices in its scan-list.

I'm sure I don't need to say that your DNB must have a different node address than the other one on the network, all nodes must be unique.