We don't follow NFPA rules

I read it also last week. After 40+ years of learning where not to touch I can now get lazy? Some things needed changed but come on, hazard at 50 volts in a control panel? I'm glad I just do programming and data acq and let the young guys do the rest. Retirement in sight.

What do most old school phones ring at? It is above 50 v isn't it?
I understand why the rules where made but come on. These rules where probably driven from the power distribution side of our business.

there is a post on this site - can't remember Who's but it was relating to your question - I'll do a search - I know I replied to it.

I don't use PPE on 120V panels because I use finger-safe components. Common sense and a voltage probe can protect me from 120V.

But anyone who has worked around 480V AC drives knows that all brands and installations just sometimes... come undone. I've had it happen when they were sitting still, new out of the box. Sometimes there's plasma ejected. Sometimes fragments and fasteners. Always very very loud.

Do I wear my bomb suit while programming an idling drive ? No. Do I wear longsleeve FR and eye shields ? You bet.

You don't have to get burned very many times to remember how much it hurts.

I think drives are probably my least favorite thing to do in a suit. I hate having to suit up on a drive with rubber and leather gloves, hood and all to get an analog wire changed. Some of them just suck where they locate those terminals. Small drives are probably the worst of all. The terminals are Just to close to do it bare handed. The large drives have to much potential to do it bare handed.

At the mill I work at we made it a standard that if it requires a suit then we shut down power, ie. pulling MCC buckets. Other than that we wear the FR bibs and long sleeve shirts. We have face shields and socks that go on your head but they can cause more danger when if you didn't have it on. Try wearing insulated gloves, the sock, safety glasses, and the hardhat with the arc shield. By the time you get it on you can't see good enough to place your meter probes. Protection against arc flash is great but can be taken too far.

The one thing I have seen is the gear can make you careless. We had one electrician the took out more fuses AFTER we mandated the arc flash gear.

once you have been trained on High Voltage Greater than 1KV you prefer to be suited up and have the gear isolated and earthed

At the mill I work at we made it a standard that if it requires a suit then we shut down power, ie. pulling MCC buckets. Other than that we wear the FR bibs and long sleeve shirts. We have face shields and socks that go on your head but they can cause more danger when if you didn't have it on. Try wearing insulated gloves, the sock, safety glasses, and the hardhat with the arc shield. By the time you get it on you can't see good enough to place your meter probes. Protection against arc flash is great but can be taken too far.

The one thing I have seen is the gear can make you careless. We had one electrician the took out more fuses AFTER we mandated the arc flash gear.

Add to wearing the above either a half-mask respirator or in some areas a full-face PAPR. Most of our facility requires this in production areas.
For several years we have been mandatory FR clothes and forever safety glasses with shields and that is just fine. When actually touching live stuff with meter leads, OK, but to just connect a laptop? Most of our large processes have isolated enclosures for drives and that helps. I had an early (1985) VFD explode next to me. My ears still ring. I'm glad I just do engineering support and don't have to wrench anymore. Supposedly all new control panels are to barrier between 480v and control with finger safe. But stuff still gets through. If I ask for 24vdc controls most guys wine. DUH!

I work in a shop did it require full mask under your hood. The papers were so strong I would burn your eyes.
We had a 40 cal suit. I did use it 1 time in an building that was 105 F. I had a full respirator on less than 10 minutes I thought I was going into heat exhaustion.
We got the safety girl to dress up in a 11 Cal suit. Had her wear a full fact respirator with a arc flash hood. She Couldn't get the hood to set all the way down because of the mask.
All of the IT guys got ****ed because the electricians forced them to comply with arc flash as well. Inside their racks there is a phone exchange greater than 50V. Rules are rules right?